 Trains / 24573
Re: What if.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:35:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, David VinZant wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:

As for more holes sure, but I can't think of reason that holes
between stud rows 1 & 2

Well, maybe not (if you are counting from the closed end). But I wanted to go to
11!

or 2 & 3 would be used. Are there any examples or theories, I'm stumped.

Truck with a pin all the way at one end. I've done it before. That pin will
swivel if placed between 2 and 3

Did you see my most recent update to the part? I added 11 holes and opened the
end. At first I opened the whole end. Then I thought well there is only 4 studs
of usable space on the end any way. So I made a 4 stud opening.

I suggest 5 for the width (hey, half stud offset!), in case someone is
swivelingright up to the edge and is using this inside an 8 or larger wide
creation.

How will you get the bogie plate to rotate adequately though?  Perhaps 7-wide
would be better.

To solve the 1-wide-plates-along-the-outside-problem, make it 8-wide!  On second
thoughts, that wouldn't work for locos with a thin stripe of one colour at the
bottom and another colour above it.  I like to build without stickers.

What I'd really like is a 4x8, 4x12 or 6x8, 10 or 12 plate, 3.2mm thick, with 9
holes down the centre row, leaving the two ends without holes.  That would be a
lot easier (and stronger) to fix to the rest of the composite 8-wide chassis,
requiring only one plate height of 1-wide or 2-wide plates at the side.

These locos are very long: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=77378
so the only requirements are for a good tie-in with the other plates, height of
1 plate and independence of the colour of the bodyshell, as well as enough holes
along the centre line but not right up to the edge.

The walls and roof provide some of the rigidity of a diesel loco, so flexing in
2 layers of plates in the chassis is not a problem.  Therefore the 2-plate
height isn't necessary.

I suggest a 6x12 plate, 3.2mm high with 9 holes down the centre.  I could mod a
6x12 plate, but if one were available I wouldn't need to, just like a few of the
parts I've made for steam engines.

BTW the brackets for a low loader need to be under the low loader part and over
the part that holds the bogie.

Mark