 Trains / 24576
Re: What if.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:55:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David VinZant wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I suggest 5 for the width (hey, half stud offset!), in case someone is
swivelingright up to the edge and is using this inside an 8 or larger wide
creation.

How will you get the bogie plate to rotate adequately though?  Perhaps 7-wide
would be better.

Wouldn't use one. Would use the 2x2 tile with technic pin instead.

To solve the 1-wide-plates-along-the-outside-problem, make it 8-wide!

Bzzt, wrong answer. We're talking about a part that we want LEGO to make. It
needs to fit in with their current parts and be useful to what they do. They do
6 wide.

Larry brings up a good point. When you think about a "Dream" part you have to
look at how it would benifit the TLC. I think the 6x12 train plate has the
potential to elliminate the need for the 6x24 and 6x28 train plates. Aslo from a
manufacturing stand point you would only need one mold. That could save TLC a
bit of money I am sure.

I would be nice to have a beat all part that would work for both 6 wide and 8
wide. I dont build in 8 wide so its nice to hear all this feedback. Maybe I can
work on an 8 wide plate for you guys. Has anyone tried this part?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4151

It only gives you two holes to work with but It would be alot stronger then a
2x8 technic plate.

Dave

www.GPLR.org

I’m an 8 wide guy so I’ll throw my opinion in here. I began building 8 wides
because I wanted to have the freedom to build as wide, as long and as realistic
as I possibly could. For those reasons alone I don't use train plates. The 2x4,
2x6, 2x8 Technic plates and the 8x8 grill plate shown above work well so I say
if it isn’t broken don't fix it.

I guess I'll throw my opinion out there for the 6 wide plate you are all talking
about as well.
  I have to agree with Dave on the manufacturing standpoints. Creating a part
just for the sake of a new part just doesn't make economical sense.  However
creating 1 part that is smaller and more useful than the 2 single purpose parts
it would replace is good in my book.

OnDrew
p.s. I really do like the part everyone has designed together. It looks like
something I would use.