 Trains / 24545
24544  |  24546
Subject:
2 axel motorised truck with 3 stud center wheel spacing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:48:16 GMT

A Motorised 2 axel truck with 3 stud wheel spacing. This is a custom modified 9v train motor.

I’ve been toying with this idea for a while. It seems a shame that LEGO makes only the one style motor truck. I used a small DC motor and a pair of wheel sets. After testing with a teathered version, I replaced 2 of the wheels with custom metal wheels to use as track power pick-ups.

Unloaded the truck runs at about 1/2 the speed of a standeard 9v train motor at full throtal. This ratio stayed about the same on all speed settings. And loaded with a metroliner club car it’s still close to that speed, even at the 3v setting. It was able to pull 2 club cars and the metroliner passenger car on a small circle of track.

It does seem to be sensitive to uneven track. It stalls a bit if either metal wheel lifts at all, as it looses power. I think this would be cured with a 4 wheel track power pickup.

Deep links: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Lgaugewheels/motortruck/motortruck1.jpg Top with the bogie plate removed. About 1/3 of the wheelsets had to be removed, there is no visable modification when assembled. I had to shave off some the the bogie plate tubes to fit the motor.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Lgaugewheels/motortruck/motortruck2.jpg The underside, showing the gears. the motor has a 8 tooth gear, sitting directly above the center reduction gear. I plan to hit the bright orange gears with a sharpie pen. And the same for the metal wheels.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Lgaugewheels/motortruck/motortruck3.jpg Here it’s mounted on a club car.

MOC page: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/8233

Mat