 Trains / 24552
Re: 2 axel motorised truck with 3 stud center wheel spacing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:42:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote:
   “Mathew Clayson” mathew_impact1@yahoo.com wrote in message news:ID1o4G.1ErE@lugnet.com...
   A Motorised 2 axel truck with 3 stud wheel spacing. This is a custom modified 9v train motor.

   MOC page: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/8233

Mat

Holy crap Mat! I never really thought of doing that. That’s great! To combat jittering on uneven tracks and the like, you could always add a second set of pickup wheels on the other end of the railcar.

Hi Rob, I figured you of all people would like this.

I may add the seceond set of pickup wheels, or a second moterized truck, and wire them togather. Right now I’m usng the spring-to-axel methode to get my power from the metal wheels. If I switch to wipers on the back of the wheel, I could use 4 metal wheels in one truck.

   I want to do the following things:

1) add wheels to the 9v train motor for a 6 wheel truck

So far I’ve only done one of these, I need a grey one for my next project.

   2) make power pickups for normal wheelsets for accessories in railcars

I got a few of the metal wheels made a while back, but not enough to part some out. As a stop gap to experiment with, I used some old Lionel O guage wheels to test with. These are a bit thicker, like the old LEGO wheels, but have a nearly identical profile otherwise. I ground mine thinner on a belt sander, and used thin brass tube to shim the larger hole onto the LEGO axelrod.

   3) powered handtruck! with moving handles!! modified nba players would work nicely here...

Huh? And I thought I was getting exotic. I want to see this when it’s done.

BTW, small toy cars are a great souce for gears. The cars with the flywheel type energy storage seem to work best for conversion. I found a few at the dollor store, and I think they will be ideal for a single axel motor truck.

Mat