 Trains / 24533
  What if.....

Hello all I have this idea for a what if part. Its a 6x12 train base plate. I think it would have some advantages over the standard 6x24 and 6x28 base plates. First off, it would alow people to make longer trains by not limiting you to the current (...) (19 years ago, 7-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) I think this is certainly an interesting idea, but I don't follow this specific point. I think that although the current bases have their limits, they're easy enough to work around as far as lengths go. I think a good articulation is more (...) (19 years ago, 7-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) I find with building long wagons in 8mm:1ft scale (8+ wide British or 10+ wide American) that the 6-wide baseplates don't allow a bogie plate to turn sufficiently inside the underneath of the baseplate. Therefore I've used 2x2 plates with a (...) (19 years ago, 7-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Its funny that you mention articulation, as that was sort of the resion why I came up with this idea. Here is a picture that shows why. (URL) some of you know my TGV is a 10ft long articulated train. I wanted to make the cars for my TGV longer (...) (19 years ago, 7-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) As an 8-wider, I am left feeling a bit flat. One of the biggest problems using 6-wide bases on 8-wide trains is the number of 1x(x) plates that are needed to fill in the gap, and the minimum thickness of the train's bases grows from 2 to 3 (...) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Very intersting idea! I am not myself a fan of skirted trucks, I like the built up effect you get by using plates and technic plates. But for some applications they make a lot of sense, and I think your one end part might be very useful. To (...) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Currently I have 5 holes in the train plate. They are 4 studs from the end of the plate as it is on the normal 6x24/28 plates. Are you suggesting I should put two more? I think with the open end it would lead to a weaker structure. Also it (...) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) No, 6 more, for a total of 11. I'd take holes all teh way to the ends! I often do trucks that don't use bogie plates and instead use the 2x2 tile with center technic pin, so I can offset the truck pivot (for ability to get around curves (...) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Forgot to mention this the first time.... That's right J2, I'm saying make it go to 11. (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: What if.....

A very interesting idea, it takes the advantages of the train bases (strength with with the height saving of the inset bogie (truck)) but with far more flexibility of use. I think Lar's suggestion of leaving off one end and adding more holes would (...) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

Leaving off the end isn't a bad idea! In my mind's eye I see the end terminate as any other single plate thickness. Great thinking! How about a 1x2 stud notch off the end too. This way if a pair are tight up against each other (or a 6xn plate is (...) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) I really like all this feedback. Its like were all in a room with as many LEGO bricks as we want. And were building the best MOC to have been created. :) Alright, I made some changes and opened one end of the plate. I also ran the holes the (...) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....Update!

(...) I modified the file again to solve any structure problems. I added two small supports at the open end. Since you cant utilize the space right next the sides any way. (URL) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Do you mean at the end of the top surface? If so I think is would be a useful idea. (...) The added height of the side probably increases the strength considerably (its like a girder) but yes, most models have the strength elsewhere in the (...) (19 years ago, 9-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Well, maybe not (if you are counting from the closed end). But I wanted to go to 11! (...) Truck with a pin all the way at one end. I've done it before. That pin will swivel if placed between 2 and 3 (19 years ago, 9-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Did you see my most recent update to the part? I added 11 holes and opened the end. At first I opened the whole end. Then I thought well there is only 4 studs of usable space on the end any way. So I made a 4 stud opening. (URL) picture. Dave (...) (19 years ago, 9-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) I suggest 5 for the width (hey, half stud offset!), in case someone is swivelingright up to the edge and is using this inside an 8 or larger wide creation. (19 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) I find that once you go to 8 wide you pretty much have to custom build your base plates using crossed technic plates to form the holes for bogie plates. Building around existing train baseplates makes the base too thick. IMHO MIke (...) (19 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) How will you get the bogie plate to rotate adequately though? Perhaps 7-wide would be better. To solve the 1-wide-plates-along-...e-problem, make it 8-wide! On second thoughts, that wouldn't work for locos with a thin stripe of one colour at (...) (19 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Wouldn't use one. Would use the 2x2 tile with technic pin instead. (...) Bzzt, wrong answer. We're talking about a part that we want LEGO to make. It needs to fit in with their current parts and be useful to what they do. They do 6 wide. (19 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) Larry brings up a good point. When you think about a "Dream" part you have to look at how it would benifit the TLC. I think the 6x12 train plate has the potential to elliminate the need for the 6x24 and 6x28 train plates. Aslo from a (...) (19 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What if.....

(...) I’m an 8 wide guy so I’ll throw my opinion in here. I began building 8 wides because I wanted to have the freedom to build as wide, as long and as realistic as I possibly could. For those reasons alone I don't use train plates. The 2x4, 2x6, (...) (19 years ago, 11-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)