 Trains / 20286
Re: Even more Wow!! for your buck!!! was Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 02:06:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Brian H. Nielsen wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Brian H. Nielsen wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

Regarding reverse loops and DCC I seem to recall that it's possible to
automate them so you don't have to cut gaps that the motor has to coast
across

See this track diagram

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/loop.html

   I'm not up on DCC, but with normal track it is normally done by having the
loop divided into 2 power blocks,

That diagram is divided into two blocks. One for the approaches, and one for the
reverse loop itself. That's standard wiring, been done that way since I was a
wee lad, there's no need to divide the reverse loop itself into two blocks.

With conventional control  (for example the old ATLAS line of components) you
reverse the loop block to match which way the train enters and while the train
is in the block, you reverse the approach block.

   Okay, yeah, my memory of what I too used to do years ago got cross-wired.

   Then I guess I don't understand the set-up that is causing his need for a gap
to be crossed.  Is it a DCC related issue or simply him not reversing the
polarity of the approaches while in the loop?

The latter I think... by having a truck long gap, the motor coasts across the
gap but never shorts out from one wheel set to the other, once it hits the
powered side again (even though the polarity is reversed) it just continues on.

This is actually an elegant solution if you can handle having the trains lurch a
bit. At the speeds we work at that's not a problem. For a two truck diesel in HO
that has interconnected power pickups on the trucks, and which is operating at
realistic speeds, it might not work well at all.

Brian H. Nielsen