 Trains / 20268
Re: Even more Wow!! for your buck!!! was Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 05:05:26 GMT

Yes, you can automate the reversing loops. In fact, using the RCX to do so should be fairly simple, except that it takes 2 of them to do it.

(Just using 1 rail for now-)

(rcx a)rail-gap-rail(rcx b)

The two of them set the polarity the same, such that the motor doesn’t see the difference. When the train enters onto the B section (must be detected...there are easy ways (light sensor?- the commercial ones use voltage drop), the RCX’s reverse the voltage seen on the a section, so that when it comes out, the voltage is right at the join again. Because it is a AC wave on the track, the motors still in the section don’t change speed either (except for the first cycle in the opposite direction)

The “real” units do it in a similar manor using short circuit detection and reversing to get the minimum delay/speed droop on the crossing of the gaps.

I’m faced with designing this into a layout by accident (oops!), so have had to order a 2nd booster (Digitrax) for my lego layout.

James