 Trains / 20010
Re: Parts I wish TLC made
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 18:52:01 GMT

Congrats on the 20,000th post to .trains! Wow, 20,000 posts! That's a lot of
info.

Wow, I didn't even notice that, cool.

I think it is OK to post such a link (to a closed auction) since it's for
information use and you don't have a conventional site. In future if you do
auction these again, I hope I see your announcement of it in market.auction,
I must have missed it before... I would probably have bid, your starting bid
seems quite reasonable to me.

I did post about it in market.auction, but the only people who contacted me
about the track did so after the auction ended. I sort of wanted to get a
base price for what people were willing to pay for these, and since nobody
bid, I figured that $80 was too much, and anything less wasn't worth it to
me considering my shipping cost, auction fees, and labor.

If these sold well I was also going to work on on an expansion track pack
with two track sections that were 2 studs long, along with one 2.5, one 3,
one 3.5, and one 6 studs long. With these lengths you can fill any gap
between 2 and 15.5 studs in half stud increments. Actually you can make a
piece of track 19 studs long, but since a regular piece is 16 studs, there
really wouldn't be much of a need to do that, unless you were short of
straight track.

Thanks for sharing. One thing I could not quite tell from the pics was, are
the rail ends lined up in these? That is, if you add one straight to the end
of the crossover unit, does it end exactly at the same horizontal distance
as the other track? The picture with one crossovers used as a yard lead,
with a conventional switch at the other end of the runaround/passing track
suggests that it's close but may not be exact (the switch is slightly off
parallel in the pic)

Yes, it lines up correctly, in fact when I constructed them I put straights
on the ends of the switches, then tied the whole assembly together with 10
stud long braces between the ties of the parallel tracks before doing any
solder work. I think the reason the picture is off is because I wasn't fully
centered or because I didn't take it at an exact right angle. Due to the
size of the layout of the track on my back patio I had to stand up on a step
stool and shoot straight down to take the picture. Since the parallel tracks
created by these crossovers are 8 studs apart (or 16 studs centerline to
centerline), and maintain the standard LEGO siding spacing, I can't see a
situation where these wouldn't be able to be placed into any layout that
uses regular LEGO track sections.

I will say that these are pretty much single use pieces, they may not be as
useful as switches modified by others that have a shorter length of
diverging track past the frog. I may try a few more modifications on my own,
but I think that maintaing LEGO track standards makes these crossover tracks
useful to the largest segment of LEGO train users, i.e. those who don't use
any modified track at all.

Jeff Christner