 Trains / 20030
Re: Parts I wish TLC made
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 22:12:24 GMT

I used a 48x48 stud base plate as "form" to mount the points (switches?) on
while they were being "processed". The error in the track change switching
arrangement must be a lot less than 1 stud as nothing seemed to bow or
strain during the placement of the 4x6 plate (which is securely in place
with MEK). One of my design criteria is that the composite dual point
assembly be tough enough to survive visits to train shows!

Any dimensional error will show up as a track seperation error which for
large dual track layouts will be dissipated over the large number of track
segments around a typical 12 x 20 foot layout.

As far as I can tell, the curved track version is exact. You can place a
curved section of track over top of a point and easily confirm this.
Eventaully, the curve diverges from the point curve, so the cut has to be
made before this happens, which is in a different location from the cut
required when making the track switch version.

best,

John

In lugnet.trains, Jeff Christner writes:

However, I will say that in my experiments using a 4x6 plate to hold the
switches together, while quick, easy, and durable, isn't exact. It's only
off by a little bit which may amplify the error in larger creations. Then
again since LEGO track does have a little play in it, it probably doesn't
matter much. In fact my switches aren't even perfect, they're pretty close
though.

I may have to experiment using the MEK and plastic strips to join the
switches together as Ben Fleskes did. I'm currently using 5 minute epoxy,
but it's difficult to work with and I feel may be subject to internal
cracking since the epoxy is on pretty thick. I have 4 more switches to
modify and I'll probably use Ben Fleskes' method, then compare the two.

Jeff Christner