 Trains / 19999
Re: Parts I wish TLC made
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 03:12:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, I wrote:
    But if you can build those track sections with existing track pieces,
how long do you you think it would take before people started griping about
them being POOP?  My guess is about 1.3 seconds.

     Whoops.  Not being a Train collector, I didn't actually realize that
these were customized parts.  I had to track down images of the switching
rails and curved rails so I could count the ties (there are 5 missing
between the switching tracks on the parallel siding, and one from each
switching track on the half-loop).  My bad!

     Now, if they made a switching track that had three full ties removed
from the switched track, you'd still be able to pull off the same half-loop
shape by adding in one more section of curved track, but I don't think you'd
still be able to link two switching tracks together to make a parallel
siding anymore, since it'd have the effect of removing one full tie from
each set of jumper tracks on your custom setup.  The extension plate for the
switch mechanism sticks out far enough that it might conflict with the ties
on the opposite track, and even if it doesn't, it'd put the throw switch
awfully close to any trains running down the opposite tracks.