 Trains / 20000
Re: Parts I wish TLC made
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 07:09:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Laswell writes:

    Now, if they made a switching track that had three full ties removed
from the switched track, you'd still be able to pull off the same half-loop
shape by adding in one more section of curved track, but I don't think you'd
still be able to link two switching tracks together to make a parallel
siding anymore, since it'd have the effect of removing one full tie from
each set of jumper tracks on your custom setup.  The extension plate for the
switch mechanism sticks out far enough that it might conflict with the ties
on the opposite track, and even if it doesn't, it'd put the throw switch
awfully close to any trains running down the opposite tracks.

If I understand the concern above correctly, using the switches like this
does not effect the usage of regular switches to make sidings and such if
the switches that are modified are used together to make a true crossover. I
hope it's ok to post this link to an auction I ran, it's already closed,
with no bids, or interest it seems. The auction was for 4 switches that were
permanently attached together to make two crossovers, one left hand and one
right hand. Anyway it shows a few more examples of layouts you can make when
you use modified switches. Included is a photo of a siding with a regular
switch on one end and a custom one on the other end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3118455898

I first used switches modified like this on my Nova Township switching
layout in mid 1998. My site is no longer around, but I did give permission
to a website, whose URL I don't know, to host a few pictures and such from
it since I used Kadee couplers too. It generated some interest on RTL since
it was a true switching layout, though I think I scared the LEGO purists
with my modified switches and Kadee couplers glued to regular LEGO elements.

Jeff Christner

P.S. While I still haven't sold the switches, this post isn't intended to
draw attention to the fact I still have them or that I want to sell them. In
fact, I may rebuild a switching layout in the future. If I do decide to sell
them I may relist them a 3rd time. The link to the closed auction is simply
a quick way to show pictures of how modified switches can be useful.