 Trains / 20001
Re: Parts I wish TLC made
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 10:48:51 GMT

Congrats on the 20,000th post to .trains! Wow, 20,000 posts! That's a lot of
info.

In lugnet.trains, Jeff Christner writes:
In lugnet.trains, David Laswell writes:

    Now, if they made a switching track that had three full ties removed
from the switched track, you'd still be able to pull off the same half-loop
shape by adding in one more section of curved track, but I don't think you'd
still be able to link two switching tracks together to make a parallel
siding anymore, since it'd have the effect of removing one full tie from
each set of jumper tracks on your custom setup.  The extension plate for the
switch mechanism sticks out far enough that it might conflict with the ties
on the opposite track, and even if it doesn't, it'd put the throw switch
awfully close to any trains running down the opposite tracks.

If I understand the concern above correctly, using the switches like this
does not effect the usage of regular switches to make sidings and such if
the switches that are modified are used together to make a true crossover. I
hope it's ok to post this link to an auction I ran, it's already closed,
with no bids, or interest it seems.

I think it is OK to post such a link (to a closed auction) since it's for
information use and you don't have a conventional site. In future if you do
auction these again, I hope I see your announcement of it in market.auction,
I must have missed it before... I would probably have bid, your starting bid
seems quite reasonable to me.

The auction was for 4 switches that were
permanently attached together to make two crossovers, one left hand and one
right hand. Anyway it shows a few more examples of layouts you can make when
you use modified switches. Included is a photo of a siding with a regular
switch on one end and a custom one on the other end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3118455898

I first used switches modified like this on my Nova Township switching
layout in mid 1998. My site is no longer around, but I did give permission
to a website, whose URL I don't know, to host a few pictures and such from
it since I used Kadee couplers too. It generated some interest on RTL since
it was a true switching layout, though I think I scared the LEGO purists
with my modified switches and Kadee couplers glued to regular LEGO elements.

Jeff Christner

Thanks for sharing. One thing I could not quite tell from the pics was, are
the rail ends lined up in these? That is, if you add one straight to the end
of the crossover unit, does it end exactly at the same horizontal distance
as the other track? The picture with one crossovers used as a yard lead,
with a conventional switch at the other end of the runaround/passing track
suggests that it's close but may not be exact (the switch is slightly off
parallel in the pic)