 Trains / 20009
Re: RCX Train Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 17:40:32 GMT

Jeff Elliott wrote:

I was languishing at home today with a cold, and I got to thinking about
running trains with an RCX.  I've been dreaming of having one or two
trains automated to pull into a station, wait, pull out again, etc.  But
all this hinges on having the RCX know when the train is in the station.

In the past I've tried light sensors and touch sensors, but they were
usually unreliable, bulky, or both.  Unfortunately, an unreliable sensor
usually leads to a derailment, and that caused me to avoid the whole
issue.

I solved the unreliable light sensor problem [1], although my version still
sticks out two studs from the tracks on one side, and five out on the other.
Also there's an extra wire, due to shining a light bulb at the sensor. But we
just ran a ping-pong train at a recent PNLTC show, and it worked flawlessly
for two full days. The benefit to my solution is that you don't have to raise
the tracks up, but as you said, that wasn't an issue for your layout.

I really like your magnet solution, and will definitely be using it for
certain applications in the future. Nice work.

Rick Clark
PNLTC

[1] Briefly, the sensor sits directly across the track from a 9v light bulb.
Both light and sensor are shrouded by a 1x2 black technic brick. I didn't
invent the idea of shrouding the sensor, but I don't know that I've seen a
setup like mine before. I'm ready to stand corrected, if necessary. ;-)