 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7337
Re: RCX Train Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 15:19:30 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:
Esger Abbink wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:
I was languishing at home today with a cold, and I got to thinking about
running trains with an RCX.  I've been dreaming of having one or two
trains automated to pull into a station, wait, pull out again, etc.  But
all this hinges on having the RCX know when the train is in the station.

<snip>

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure if you want to keep it a "100% lego" solution, but if not I
think a reedcontact for magnetic detection might be simpler (and a lot
smaller!). I dont know how well that would tie in with an RCX though. I have
no experience with the things.

Yeah, I am after an all-Lego solution; not just for purity reasons, but
I'd be too worried about frying the RCX with my less-than-impressive
electornics skills.

Besides, given that my whole layout seems to be elevated 18 bricks high,
it's more the width of the package that matters.

I have created a very low-profile magnetic reed switch sensor for the RCX
that I have used for years on NELUG's train layouts.  The sensor lies in the
railbed, and sticks up a single 2x4 plate above the railroad ties.  This
sensor is very reliable at detecting trains, and does not have to be
calibrated at startup to any room light levels.  I am about to make an
improved version of these sensors available for sale.  Please see
http://www.drvegetable.com/wks_rrcrossing.html for more details about my
sensor project.

Actually, I'm looking to see if I can't do this with my Control Lab.
Potentially four train sensors and four points sensors in one package,
and enough outputs to run 8 separate track sections.  Wire it all into a
laptop and use TrackDesigner to create the images for my user interface

I have already done exactly this same thing, used a Control Lab and a laptop
to run the level crossing signal lights and gates on the last few NELUG
train layouts.  I even load the Track Designer bitmap to display on-screen,
overlaid with graphics to indicate the state of the train sensors and
crossings.  I am currently in the process of refining this program for
eventual release to the LEGO community.  Please watch
http://www.drvegetable.com/download.html for more details on this project.

I've also done a fair amount of reverse-engineering of the Control Lab to
understand the many undocumented commands that it responds to.  I am hoping
to document this information somewhere on my web site, but please feel free
contact me directly via e-mail if you need this info sooner than I get
around to it.

- Chris.