 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7330
Re: RCX Train Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 16:08:16 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:

<snip some description>

The sensor uses only Lego parts, fits in a 6x8x2 volume, and nestles
snugly under a straight track.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeffe/Train/TrainSensor/trainsensor3.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeffe/Train/TrainSensor/trainsensor1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeffe/Train/TrainSensor/trainsensor2.jpg

<snipped a lot of description>

Jeff Elliott

Jeff, great work!

I have managed an automated working layout of one loop with parallel siding
and two alternating running trains.  The two trains run in opposite
directions.  There are 3 "station stops":  one within each parallel siding
and the third is on the main loop.

It's been several months since I ran this set-up, but if memory serves me
correctly, I think that the RCX program starts with each train *not*
obscurring any of the light sensors.  This allows the MindStorms program to
set the light sensor value to "see" a "bright" value, rather than a "dark"
value.

The MindStorms program, track and RCX set-up cartoon, and a MPEG video of
the running trains is available here:  (caution:  the MPeg video is 29MB, 5
minutes long)

In the cartoon drawing of the layout configuration, the brown disks on the
track represent continuity isolation points where I wrapped brown packing
tape around the metal parts of the 9v train track.

This system has worked OK in constant background light conditions untill the
RCX "times-out" and shuts itself off.  If the background light changes
significantly, I do have to stop the RCX program, reposition the two trains
so that neither obscurs the light sensors, and then restart the RCX program.
When the RCX program starts, I can sometimes see the light sensor red LED
flash or flicker-- I think it is resetting its "bright" value or "zero".

Your dark box and dual magnet system looks great and appears to step forward
toward an unconditional "works all the time" configuration.  Love it!

later,
James Mathis