 Trains / 19842
  Re: Train Layout Tables

(...) Right. The reason why I suggested .trains.presentation.hardware is that .trains can get pretty busy, and it would be nice to slightly compartmentalize while fleshing things out. Once all data had been gathered/discussed, I definitely see it (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Train Layout Tables

(...) Trains may well be too busy... Put it in trains.org then. I'm not seeing a strong argument for a group THIS compartmentalised at this point. And I'm pretty compartmentalised! (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

In lugnet.trains, Thomas Stangl writes: <snip1> (...) <snip2> Shudder? Why do you say that? The GMLTC has been doing that for years, and we've only had a couple of problems in all those shows. We don't use ropes, we don't have plexi -- if kids want (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Layout Tables

(...) Dork. [1] JOHN [1] That one may well be T-shirt worthy... (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

I think it depends alot on what slant your train club takes. The train clubs that are all about the prototypical designs I think have more emotionally invested in their designs and display mainly for other train modelers. Since I can't even begin to (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

Since our first show at GATS we have had a kids RR (KRR) play area attached to the main layout so they feel a part of it. We hated that when you'd go to a GATS you couldn't touch anything, even if your an adult in some cases! At the KRR there is (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

(...) We'd *love* to be able to do that, but unfortunately our membership is limited to the point where we just don't get enough people to staff and oversee a 'play area'. <sigh> Since many of us are current or former LEGO employees, we take the (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

Good points John. I recall the first time I got KRR duty and I nearly pulled my hair out! And that same reaction came from most of us. I think we were a little (read REALLY) uptight that the trains elements might get broken etc. But after a while we (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

With the NGLTC kids area we too removed the train elements from the play tables. When we had the train parts on the table there was always some bigger kid that would hog the engine and controller, then we'd have send someone over to police the (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

(...) I don't know if it is fair to make generalizations about the relative levels of emotional investment between clubs, but I doubt that anyone who brings a MOC out into public for display has less than an exceptionally high emotional attachment (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

(...) I'm not trying to minimize anyone's investment in time, material, or emotional in their layouts. My generalization (and it definitely is that) is that the closer a model is to prototypical, the more fragile details it has, the more "perfect" (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

(...) True. If it's a oneoff, that is... I hardly ever display oneoffs, most of what I display is either commercial production work (mine from MTW, or others), or one of multiple copies, or if I really care, I capture it in LDraw. My bullet train is (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

(...) It's been a very long time since you've worked with our modules if you think that has any impact on rebuilding. *grin* We changed the water level at one show and I completely reworked the town for this show. Landscape changes quite easily and (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

On a completely different note when did Todd start adding random spam phrases to our emails automatically? Cool.... -J3 (I am unorganized and choose to reply to myself instead of starting a new thread. No table manners either...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

(...) Within the last two weeks, IIRC, and it is indeed nifty. See admin.general for more if you're interested... the question is off-topic for trains.org (grin). (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

(...) ohh! I need one that explodes on contact...but it has to do it in a head on collision, and be easy to put back together after. (...) There are some of my designs that I don't like to see smashing into the floor, but most of my stuff has been (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

I don't worry so much about getting it back together as much as I worry about finding all the pieces again. Nothing worst than having to crawl around the floor of a crowded convention center looking for pieces. I prefer to be able to relax and enjoy (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)

(...) It's not just emotional - it's financial. Not getting at Larry, but there's an example of someone who's got tons of stuff. On a smaller layout, like we do with the NBLTC, every single thing on the layout is a one-off. My four GWR carriages, (...) (21 years ago, 24-Apr-03, to lugnet.trains.org)