 Trains / 18063 (-100)
  Re: Some LEGOWorld 2002 pictures

(...) of 2x2.5 meters free for my train/town stuff. I will fill my car as much as I dare without making a brickyard out of my MOCs. (...) Only a car accident can stop me now - see you on Saturday morning! Ben (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.nl)

  Some LEGOWorld 2002 pictures

I've made some shots today, while everybody was preparing their display for LEGOWorld 2002. The pictures are 640*480 (Click on them for 1600*1200 you like detail) , mostly dealing with trains, technic and pirates. (URL) update again on sunday) Hope (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.technic, lugnet.loc.de)

  Re: Largest train car dimensions?

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H44qy6.8x3@lugnet.com... (...) or (...) the (...) clearance (...) Ok, I sorry. I want to know maximum width. I know 6stud is standard. What I try to make need to be wider. The car (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) There is a site that has pictures of various GP40's here: (URL) of info, pictures, etc of SD's, GP's, etc. Enjoy. Play well. Tim Strutt (22 years ago, 15-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Largest train car dimensions?

(...) I've run 14 wides with no problem. I routinely run passenger cars that are 62 studs long. These aren't the *longest*-- I'm not really sure anyone has cared to find out the maximums, although for length around curves, the maximum distance (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Largest train car dimensions?

(...) Straight or curved? curve curve curve or curve straight curve (gives a bigger radius curve)? What things are around it that it needs to clear? If you are on straight track, and have no clearance problems there is no definite upper limit if the (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains)

  Largest train car dimensions?

I would like to know the longest and widest train car dimensions and still have it run properly on a track. -- Duane Drumm (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains)

  Re: M.O.Cs trains

(...) (URL) some very positive feedback so I will give a few details about each. Glad to see you all like them. dsc01342 - A general purpose bo-bo diesel. not based of any specific model. Has working headlights. Another member of the BLTG has an (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  BayLTC confirmed for GATS!

FREMONT, CA - BayLTC, the Bay Area LEGO Train Club, is pleased to announce that today we received confirmation that the status for our layout to be displayed at the Great American Train Show has been upgraded from "Hold" to "Confirm". Show Details: (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

Yup. Thanks. -Stefan- (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

I ment that I called up LEGO and they sent me a whole new set of wheels. THey had no problem with it. After replacing the old SF wheels with the new, I looked at what would cause the high friction. It looks like the outer most diamater of the wheel (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

When you say you replaced the wheels, are you referring to the whole kit 'n caboodle or just the axle? -Stefan- (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) Jake/LD, It should be easy for LD to check who they sold problem batches to as most of them will have been sold by via mail order(?). I wonder if this can be sorted that way? ;) Scott A (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: M.O.Cs trains

Very nice, Gary. later, James Mathis (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Tilting Train APT instructions here

(...) of the APT there, too. (...) Nice. Check some of the other pics I show of the APT (other versions). I think I showed a substitute construction in place of the yellow 3x3 corner slopes. Maybe that could work OK for you? (...) Glad you like it. (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: testing wheelsets (was: something else...)

(...) And I was just going to suggest the 'flick' test... <grin> How about something simple like a couple of pieces of straight track, with some bracing so they fairly solid? Put two wheels together, put them on one end of the jig, and raise that (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) (the old saying: "If you want it done right, do it yourself"... springs to mind. This of course conflicts with "do what you do well, and let others do the rest") (...) Thanks for the update on this. I hope it turns out to be easy to resolve! (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) This is absolutely not true. These sets are very much meant to be run. They were never intended to be "display only" models. Whoever he talked to was misinformed. (...) this is the first that we have heard about it having problems. (...) I (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

"Harvey Henkelman" <Ferroequus@webtv.net> wrote in message news:H42q1E.1qM@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) [ ... snipped ... ] But they really didn't go out of business. They simply reorganized under Chapter 11 as ATA (American Trans Air or (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) >Ben Hmmm, this sounds very, VERY bad! A consumer Service Department is meant to provide SERVICE !! Bad parts are bad parts, and there should only ONE PROPER ANSWER from a service employee: 'Sorry, of course w'll replace your bad Legos' (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

For a long time, I resisted buying any of the Super Chief sets. The models DO look a little top-heavy, and LEGO® has slipped on their quality control like never before seen in their history. People say that LEGO® is too expensive, and that they (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) That's shocking! They're obviously meant as running models because grey motor side-bars are included in the set! Why would there be alternate parts and instructions for motorising and adding rail-powered lights to a display-only set? They may (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) Dear Jake, a German Co-AFOL has had trouble with the Santa Fe train as well. He called the consumer service for replacement wheel sets and got informed the Super Chief was not meant as a train set, but as a display set for the shelf only. So (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

I have two Santa Fe engines and a B Unit I built to go with them. I have two moters one on each of the A units. I too had a hard time with the SF engines pulling more then 10 cars. It always seemed to bog down in the turns. Recently I had all my (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) I agree with that! And I bought all of the newer cars (10013/14/15/16/17) and buy just making a very simple train with them + 1 loc, it has a very hard time on curves and not fast on a straight track. I never had that problem with all the (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Truro Train Show

Hi, I'm pleased to annonce our FIRST participation at a Train Show. It is in Truro, NS this comming saturday. We will launch a new LUG called --- Novalug --- (for Nova Scotia LUG). We'll have a modest layout only 90x60 inches, but that's a start! We (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

Hello, Maby I have an explenation. I was in Legoland Billund today. They had a factory sale with some discontinued sets. There vere a lot of Duplo trains. Both tracks and whole trainsets. Couldn't it be these trains lego was going to "ditch"? Just a (...) (22 years ago, 15-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: M.O.Cs trains

(...) Hey, ive never liked trains for some reason, i think a big train set fell on me in Kmart when i was a toddler (or something like that...) but i love the tractor... Keep up the good work, even if it is trains.. Robert (rapidly alienating (...) (22 years ago, 15-Oct-02, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Thomas Burger's Flat car

(...) It looks like there is a 'tile grove' just above the ladders. Aren't the ladders modified pieces? they look a little short. -chris (22 years ago, 15-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thomas Burger's Flat car

(...) Yes indeedy! 5 wide trailers rock and the trailer's really sweet looking. I can't tell from the rendering but I think if I were trying to build a copy, I'd try to make the end railings and coupler area rotate with the bogies rather than be (...) (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Thomas Burger's Flat car

I don't know if Thomas posted about this and I missed it, but I really like his flat car with trailers: (URL) nice design, and 5 wide trailers....cool. jt ---...--- James J. Trobaugh North Georgia LEGO Train Club (URL) (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: Points derailing cars

(...) Actually I wasn't going to make the whole gap wider, just opening wider and more gradual. That does bring a thought to mind. I could make some sort of insert that fit over the tab and guided the wheels in a little better. Maybe made out of (...) (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: Points derailing cars

I've tried your suggestions in the past... :-( DON'T do it... Scroll down... (...) You'll certainly ruin 1 or more integrated wires. Fixing these is a hell of a job. Better solution: lower te radius of the wheels 0,3-0,5 mm. With an electr. drilling (...) (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Controller Limiting Mod

I'm sure I've seen somebody post a mod for limiting how far the knob can turn on the 9V Train Controller. I searched for it, but couldn't find it. Could somebody please direct me to the post or the site? Thanks. Play well. Tim Strutt (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Points derailing cars

Hello all. At our meeting last night, we noticed that our cars were derailing in some of the switchs. I searched the train group and couldn't find any reference to this. We spent some time examining things and came to a couple of conclusions: 1. (...) (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: M.O.Cs trains

(...) seeder is tres neat. (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: M.O.Cs trains

(...) to (...) Hi Gary, even if I came into this thread via lugnet.trains, I liked the tractor most among your models. I am a little bit focussed on rural sceneries and farm equipment as it seems... Ben (www.fgltc.org) (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: M.O.Cs trains

(...) Great job Gary! They look great. HLDITY to build them? Hasta la Vista, Sean (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: M.O.Cs trains

(...) white/blue/black train is neat too. Do you have a standard cargo container that would go on there? Good work. -Jason +---...---+ Jason Spears MichLUG - (URL) Page - (URL) (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: DB BR211 diesel finished

(...) Thanks. If time permits (LEGOWorld is now priority) I might do an MLCAD instruction soon. (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  M.O.Cs trains

I have been wanting to share these for some time and have finally got around to getting it done. Just a few MOCs from the my colloection and used on the Brisbane Lego Train Groups layout. (URL) hope you like them. Gary Town BUG (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Tilting Train APT instructions here

(...) James, I was browsing for more pictures of the APT you modelled, and came across one of your renders on a site for the preservation of the APT. It's listed under models, and is linked to your Brickshelf directory. Just thought it was cool that (...) (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: DB BR211 diesel finished

That's a real beauty you got there. I remember owning one of these in N scale when I was a teenager...it was made by Arnold and ran like a watch. Holy moly! It's not even American! I'll be sure to highlight this, keep up the good work. -Harvey (22 years ago, 14-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  DB BR211 diesel finished

My Brickshelf folder is moderated so here it is : (URL) finished the model, which meant building driver cab and rear nose. Also reworked the bogies a bit and added some details. Front nose has one light built in. Unfortunately due to the (...) (22 years ago, 13-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: Great Western Lego Train Show 16/11/02

(...) Hello Tim. The A4 is mine (as is the class 37 on the other track) - the station is Tony Priestman's. The A4 was a mammoth task and took 24 solid hours to build, 8 of which were spent getting the chassis to work with the valences over the (...) (22 years ago, 13-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  MonLUG and ParLUGment hold their second joint train show

Hello, I'm proud to announce MonLUG's third and ParLUGment's second participation in a Montreal Area train show. It will be held at Georges-Vanier High School in Laval (just north of Montreal) on Saturday, November9th from 10am to 5pm and Sunday, (...) (22 years ago, 13-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ott, lugnet.loc.ca.qc.mon, lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.town) !!

  Microfig cruise ship: 10022 alternate

This was started at NWBrickCon. I keep changing the bridge on top but this is more or less what it looks like now: (URL) The Shipyard - (URL) The Moonbase Project - (URL) My Lego Creations - (URL) Attack of the Bricks - (URL) (22 years ago, 12-Oct-02, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Microfig cruise ship: 10022 alternate

This was started at NWBrickCon. I keep changing the bridge on top but this is more or less what it looks like now: (URL) The Shipyard - (URL) The Moonbase Project - (URL) My Lego Creations - (URL) Attack of the Bricks - (URL) (22 years ago, 12-Oct-02, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Virtual ICE 3 Passenger Train

(...) Referring to this TGV Duplex: Another parts availability exception are the trans-dark gray 1x2x2 thin-wall windows. I think all of the parts are available. However, maybe this part is hard to come by: - gray 1x4x1.3 1/4-curved brick (used on (...) (22 years ago, 11-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) GMD1's. (URL) at least some GP's and SD's have also changed over...most likely SD's to GP's. There isn't _that_ much of an advantage of such a change though, because a 6 axle loco can be used for the most part interchangeably with a 4 axle (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Find my train

(...) Instruction scan of the snow remover can be found here: (URL) 'Trains 2' from the drop-down list, and then it's on the 8th row at the right. The reason for not having the scans on Lugnet, is that we are not allowed to post instructions for (...) (22 years ago, 11-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Great Western Lego Train Show 16/11/02

(...) This is one of the best 'realism' (as realistic as Lego gets!) images I have seen of lego trains. Tim (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Virtual ICE 3 Passenger Train

(...) I am always glad to help out a fellow Highspeed Railer. Maybe there should be a lugnet.trains.highspeedrail .... ;) (...) You might try rubberbands like I use on my TGV. (URL) the cars might be weight more and cause the rubberbands to stretch (...) (22 years ago, 11-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) Thanks, Harvey. Those pictures were taken a few years ago with a video camera that captures stills, so the quality isn't so good. It's a delicate design that still needs improving for smoother running; I have actually made some upgrades and (...) (22 years ago, 11-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Call for expressions of interest: train *operation* get-together

Matthew Greene wrote in message ... (...) Sounds good Matthew. We'll let you know how it goes up here and what our learnings are! Kevin ---...--- NEW Cottage kit, 577 pieces! (URL) TOWN PLANNING information: (URL) Lego parts store: (URL) Guild of (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

That Atlantic is incredible, never saw it before until now...-Harvey (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Virtual ICE 3 Passenger Train

(...) Thanks. (URL) double decker cars are built on the black drop-center train baseplates from the blue/white train set 4561. I haven't given any thought to close-coupling this TGV Duplex set. (...) ICE 3: (...) (URL) 5 ICE 3 will have some (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) Ahem! Well it's a good thing we don't have any *real* rivet counters here. :-) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Oh, uh right...oops. {:^) Centipede though, that would be awesome to see. MTH made an O-gauge model a while ago. It's huge! -Stefan- (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Virtual ICE 3 Passenger Train

Again James you have designed a great looking train. I did alittle research for you and found some very helpfull info on the ICE 3. It show full floor plans, and which ones are equiped with the pantagraphs. (URL) the great designs comming Dave PS. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message news:H3s3B8.1yM@lugnet.com... (...) wheels (...) not (...) to (...) SD40s (...) axel (...) did (...) One word pretty much. POWER. I need juice for my lights and fans. Also I can do a trick with (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Controller Mod (was My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories)

We at the SCLTC had noticed the same issues everyone else has mentioned. We love to run long trains and decided to modify controllers to supply more electricity to the tracks. We used the information that someone here at LUGNET had supplied (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) *Actually*, the Hiawatha was initially pulled by streamlined Atlantics (numbers 1, 2, 3, 4), but after a few years they switched to streamlined Hudsons, and the Atlantics were downgraded to branch line service. I have modeled the Atlantic: (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) Actually the Hiawathas were 4-4-2 Atlantic types, so John wasn't that far off... (URL) (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories - Grip and Weight on wheels

(...) At LEGOWorld, Intertoys will probably have these in their megashop there. And current Intertoys price is 99 Eurocents :D (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories - Grip and Weight on wheels

Hi Ben, I've also done the tire-exchange in the past. And also out of Telekom's by now... :-) My best Trick: just add more power on the track. I've exchanged the Lego-transformer for a standard 6-dollar-one (with 2 outlets!): 2 times ~11,5V / 1,25A (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) I've seen weirder... A Henschel prototype built in the late seventies was converted from Co'Co' (2 bogies, 3 axles each. 3 motors/bogie) for Dutch Railways into the type 3'1A1' (that's two bogies with 3 axles each. Only one motor, driving the (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Digital Controls

(...) Hi, Just to let you know that i'm also converting motors to work with a DCC system, kinda Maerklin / Uhlenbrock. It's a 'self made' system in witch you have to solder all the stuff together, as the controller board, booster (5 or 10Amp's !!), (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) Interesting challenge. I would be willing to bet that there isn't an example for the reasons you stated and others. It would certainly *look* odd, with large gaps from truck to steps and so on. Let's bet lunch on it and keep an eye out for (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

Eric, That funny you asked that because I am currently working on some Rio Grande livestock cars to do just that. I'll let you know how it works out. As far as trouble with 3 axles, they work fine in the turns. I don't have any space between them, (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) trucks for both the front an back and putting the motors on the first car behind the engines to push? If you didn't I was wondering why. If you did were there problems you encountered with the pushing. Also did the 3 axel trucks have problems (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Replacing train motor tires!

(...) ... I agree. It's a great idea. And I like the look of the bicycles with the thinner tire, too. I changed two motors right away and there's no question, the traction is improved immensely. I changed the Santa Fe 'A' unit and my 'B' unit, and (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) You're referring to the Seaboard Air Line ALCO RSC2's which were retrucked from A1A-A1A to BB, I believe the Milwaukee Road did the same... (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

With my SD40-2 (Rio Grande) I kind of took the middle road and put 6 wheels in the back and used the 4 wheel train motor in the front. I know it's not exact, but we do have to work with in the limits of LEGO parts. I did try match the fans and side (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) If it was anyone else posting the above I'd let it go.. or just post a "yep, well said" because most of the points are valid. BUT, since apparently J2 is identifying himself as a nitpicker, I have to point out that there is almost certainly a (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) I don't think it will ever come, and I hope it never comes, and here's why: To design a 6 wheeled truck, you need to make the spacing between the wheels pretty short in order for the truck to negotiate the tight LEGO track curves, a la the 12 (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Replacing train motor tires!

Wow! Thast's the first time I've ever heard of that. I noticed those rubber tires on the motors before, wondered about the life span etc... but kaboom! What an idea! I changed the subject, some might be trailing off this one... SteveB From "Re: My (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) BTW, wait until you see Ross' latest-- a BN GP50... it literary astounded me when he showed it to me for the first time. Possibly the finest diesel loco I've ever seen modeled in LEGO. When he finishes putting on the final touches, I'll take (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Warning: Non-LEGO® train subject

For those of you who are interested and don't post to any of the regular rail newsgroups, I am offering a route map of CSX's famed Bone Valley phosphate mining region. This hand-drawn map is issued to all CSX train crews operating on the Florida (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) That's certainly true, and I want to point out that for my 40 class, I used the round, printed tile from the Millennium Falcon set to achieve that grilled look (light gray). -Harvey (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) [snip] (...) I have another trick to improve your engines/motors. If you take a close look at the motor wheels you see there are small round rubber bands. You can exchange the original ones against the rubberbands used in the Lego bicycles. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) Silly answer: Try it both ways, and see what looks best! Serious answer: I think we're really modeling the fan housing, not the fan itself. Usually, it is the same color as the top of the locomotive. So for your CN, black would probably look (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes: <snip> (...) The *only* problem with that is TLC made their 9V electric train motor with 2 axles and not 3. I have seen some pretty good MOCs that get around this issue, but none of them seem to sit right on a 6 (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Euro-trash? Care to explain?? :D As for weight... one weight brick per 9v engine block seems to work fine for me. I refitted my 7760 with a 9v block and it ran great, a LOT stronger than my 4563 engine. After fitting the 4563 with one weight (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

"John Gerlach" <john.gerlach@bestbu...ospam.com> wrote in message news:H3rwKK.3Ly@lugnet.com... (...) Mine (...) that (...) wheels per (...) he (...) is (...) and (...) Here's a question for you all, Should the fans be gray as they are now or BLACK (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) The most fun is when you display a LEGO moc train at a train show (GATS, NMRA, Greenberg, etc...) and you have a "real" model railroader come up and identify the make/model of locomotive you built. That's when you know you did a good job! And (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) As Lar mentioned, there isn't any definitive version (keep in mind that the GP is an evolving entity itself, so your question is *really* vague). Generally, a number following the letter indentification indicated the horse power rating; so a (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

I also am a firm believer in running short trains with LEGO®. Not only do they tax the 9V motors less, but they're easier to manage and somehow convey a more dramatic effect to my eyes...especially when using two-axle equipment. -Harvey (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2

(...) It depends. Which model? There have been dozens of models and dozens of configurations. If you really want to know, there have been published drawings of many models, but it may require purchasing back issues of Model Railroader or whatever. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  SCLTC at Discovery Science Center

The Southern California LEGO Train Club will be displaying their revamped and new layout this weekend (Sat, Oct 12 and 13) at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, CA (www.discoverycube.org). This is a hands-on Science Center and they are (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.scltc) !

  Re: Call for expressions of interest: train *operation* get-together

Interest here, Pacific Northwest is a long way from Arkansas, but I think i could get us some place like a church fellowship hall in the St Louis area. Good central location, good air, if there is any interest let me know. You guys in the NW might (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Figure for steel wheels/steel rail is that you can get 1/4th the weight on drivers as TE. More for a modern DE loco with anti-slip and AC motors (more like 1/3rd). As regards traction tyres, no, we don't need them. What is there should work (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Dude! ...that would be great for a Babyface Centipede, but I think you meant a 3 axle (or 6 wheel) motor. :-) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Speaking of conversion kits, I just thought of a crazy idea; What about offering a conversion kit for the A unit to make it an Alco FA-2 or PA-1? Engines existed for both in the warbonnet scheme, and it doesn't take many bricks to change it. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Quite right. This is why the model scales have brass flywheels on top of the motors. As for the rubber, we need actual traction tires (with treads) on the wheels, not just wrapped rubber bands. (...) You can find the NMRA RPs for weight here: (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories // ignorance in lugnet.trains?

(...) enthusiastic (...) I too learned a lot from a quite eloquent lecture on the dynamics of this community. I guess I was just hoping that more people would respond to Paul's post. The questions Paul raised were similar to my own. After reading (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) I am thinking that there is a FAQ entry in here somewhere on weight. I am pressed for time but - engines benefit from more weight, up to a point... additional weight (especially over the drivers) gives additional traction/adhesion. The 4561 is (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:H3q8IE.Fus@lugnet.com... (...) an (...) always (...) which (...) some (...) I (...) better (...) but (...) say (...) which (...) frames (...) your (...) simply (...) arrangement (...) and (...) So what (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) My observation : Most LEGO engines are simply too light! The motor has more power, but it can't be transferred onto the track because of the lack of grip. With my 4551 Crocodiles and my MOC DB211 I added some weight bricks, as found in old 12v (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories // ignorance in lugnet.trains?

(...) Hi Ben, Thanks for your insightful response. When I placed my original post I wondered if anyone would reply at all. I assumed that it would only depend on the content of my post being something people cared to comment on. Bert's comment (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact