 Trains / 16234
Re: British Rail InterCity 125-ish
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 00:19:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

Obviously, the train-specific nose and cab window don't model the IC125's
unique nose very well, but I thought the look was close enough for a try.

I think your excellent APT nose profile would work
better on the 125. Did you try it?

If you view the European Railway Picture Gallery of the IC125, you may
notice that there are several (slight?) variations on the color scheme.
Some with dark blue (or black?) at the level of the windows, others with
white at window level.  Some have full yellow nose with trailing yellow.
Others have a trailing white with only a patch of yellow on the front-face.
Some have a red stripe, others don't. etc...  Are all of these color schemes
still Brit-Rail "Blue Era"?  Perhaps some were left-overs during the
transition to privatized rail companies?

The picture of the 125 at Reading you have is curious. If I didn't
know better, I'd say the loco is "between" paint jobs, as the
livery is a bit weird. Probably mid-80's. If you look at the coaches,
they have the 1980's "InterCity" livery, which is actually a very dark
grey with white and red stripes IIRC. The older livery was simply blue and
white, without any stripes as you have on your coaches. These colour
schemes were all pre-privatisation, at a time when BR didn't know what the
hell colour to paint their trains...

See an example here:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/markshipman/railway/images/43/43121a.jpg

Incidently, your blue with red and white stripe livery actually
closely resembles Network South East livery!

Lots of 125 liveries here:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/markshipman/railway/class43.htm

I recall one of you fellows in The UK built a red/black Virgin-badged HST IC
125 some years ago.  I also remember that you sculpted the lower inverse
slope of the cab very nicely.  If you read this, I'd love to take another
look at it.

It certainly wasn't me (sadly), but I think I have
a jpeg of that somewhere. I'll look it out.

James H