 Trains / 16211
Re: British Rail InterCity 125-ish (sarcasm warning!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:24:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
Lonely shapes sit in my box of train-specific parts.
What to do with the train yellow nose and black cab parts from set 4559?

Hi James

maybe somebody around is willing to buy them? But those parts are in fact
"quite" useless and you are for sure not the only one to have too much of
them....

Not for sale from me.  I only have two of these parts.

Now, for nothing completely different.
British Rail HST InterCity 125 set:

It fits in colour scheme, but to be honest: this is not a favorite Mathis model
of mine...

Nor mine.  ;-)  But, just trying to "keep it simple" to see what happens.

In my eyes the main character of that train (except from the special front end)
is the rounded waggon base. I think one can't do that in 6-wide, but maybe
you should give 7-wide a try? (hint hint) ;-)

I have seen a green old-fashion passenger car built with 1x4x1.3
quarter-curved bricks in just this construction.  It looked to be 7 or 8
wide.  Fuzzy memory; over on the German group pages, I think.  Beautiful
model that is.

7-wide...maybe, but your real challenge to me as I read it, is to
6-wide...if you say it can't be done.   ;-)

<snip comments on big pieces>

<snip melting-down>

But I hope to see further James Mathis trains like the Acela, the ICE III or
the APT soon. Those are outstanding passenger trains.

I felt very "retro" while even thinking about the IC125 using the 4559 nose.
Like I've de-evolved....  Maybe I'm the one who is melting ;-)

The Starlight train has
been a wonderful piece of work, that I even tried to copy after I saw it
for the first time.

I remember that!  So long ago that seems.  The days of laying the model on a
flatbed scanner to get the image onto the web.  That model is still half-way
together-- had to scavenge some parts here and there.  Is yours still together?

later,
James Mathis