 Trains / 16207
Re: British Rail InterCity 125-ish (sarcasm warning!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:56:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
Lonely shapes sit in my box of train-specific parts.
What to do with the train yellow nose and black cab parts from set 4559?

Hi James

maybe somebody around is willing to buy them? But those parts are in fact
"quite" useless and you are for sure not the only one to have too much of
them....

Now, for nothing completely different.
British Rail HST InterCity 125 set:

It fits in colour scheme, but to be honest: this is not a favorite Mathis model
of mine...

Here's a link to more photos of the real-life IC125 at The European Railway
Picture Gallery:
http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/gb/diesel/HST/BR/pix.html

In my eyes the main character of that train (except from the special front end)
is the rounded waggon base. I think one can't do that in 6-wide, but maybe
you should give 7-wide a try? (hint hint) ;-)

In that case the nose of 4559 cannot be used any longer, but that piece could
have named (Burp-like) as BUTT "Big Ugly Train Tub" (have not found a better
word for the last "T" - maybe "Trash"). I allways disliked monofunctional
pieces like that one. The Metroliner is a cool set despite of this part, not
because of it.
(And sorry for being sarcastic again. I know I might be the only one to think
so about this cab piece: I have even heared from people who wished the Santa Fe
to have a monopart front piece instead of being "snotted".)

Obviously, the train-specific nose and cab window don't model the IC125's
unique nose very well, but I thought the look was close enough for a try. My
moc-up doesn't have that sharpness of edge at the change of slope just below
the driving/tail lights.  Nor does my moc-up have the steeper inverse slope.
In fact, I don't think my model models it very well. I've gone cross-eyed.
Oh, well.... Still searching for a really good use of the train nose and
cab...

Bad idea: A black "Flying Time Vessel 6493"?
Next (bad) idea: Burn it? Might not deliver enough energy for a nice fire...
I think the sound of the cab piece vanishing in a toilet could be great too.
Maybe it has great flying behaviour? Test it from top of a 100 floor building.

But I hope to see further James Mathis trains like the Acela, the ICE III or
the APT soon. Those are outstanding passenger trains. And maybe you are even
lucky to find a good use for that piece in a train. The Starlight train has
been a wonderful piece of work, that I even tried to copy after I saw it
for the first time.

Leg Godt!

Ben