 Technic / 9474
Re: hoovercraft with lift, thrust and steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:22:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:

"Paul Krieg" <pdkrieg@epix.net> wrote in message
It looks great.

I was not able to see the videos above.
Am I doing something wrong?

Well I did not mention it in my message here at Lugnet, but I wrote in the
description.txt file that both files is compressed with DivX5, so you
probably need the DivX codec to get it to work. The initial size of both
avi-files was about 3.8MB and by compressing it with DivX5 I got half the
size without loosing too much quality.
Go to this site to download the latest DivX codec http://www.divx.com/
Thanks.  I did read the description.txt file, but I did not understand what
that part meant.  Goes to show how new I am to computers.  I will try it again
when I get home from work.  :-))
I have • been
using the Lego sails from the town wind surfer boards as motorized fan • blades
since "whenever".  They seem to make ok thrust.  The biggest problem is • keeping
them in a propper shape when they spin.  This can be mannaged.

Sound like an good idea, but since I dont have this sails I cant try it. I
have too look for some pictures of the parts first maybe I can make my own
"sail" blades for my fan.

The hard part of making a fast rotating and effective fan is not to make the
blades but to get the blades to be good enough secured to the axel so they
dont deatach when spinning, and also they should not change the angel they
are mounted in.
The sail are from set 6351.  So far (years of building) I have not had much
trouble at all with blades flying at a high rate of speed toward walls.  :)
Ok, it has happened but with the right set up it works well.  I have never had
any problems with the angel changing.  The only problem is they want to slide
toward the outside of their support when theyare spinning.

After seeing the work of pixel I have been working some on rotor blades.  I
have been using axels for a frame and plastic cling wrap for a skin.  The cling
wrap will shink tight when a little heat is very carefuly applied.  I use the
tension created by the wrap to hold the frame together.  That reduses the
weight of parts I need.  At the scale you are working at is it possible to use
flex tubing for blade structure?

Regards,
     Paul K

Regards