 Technic / 9465
Re: hoovercraft with lift, thrust and steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 06:59:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:
At last I manage to make it!
With some good help and ideas from pixel ofcourse.

Here is the picture:
   http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phoenix/Hoovercraft/08_body2.jpg

Also made two small videos as well to proove that I realy got lift and
thrust:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phoenix/Hoovercraft/09_lift_and_thrust.avi
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phoenix/Hoovercraft/10_lift-thrust-steerin
g.avi

Both movieclip is about 1.5MB big and is compressed with DivX5
First is just lift and thrust, and because it is not balanced it spinns
around.
Second has steering as well, but that does not work efficient enough, but
the craft moves in one direction only.
The picture loaded fine.  It looks great.
I saw the hovercraft video and pictures by "pixel", too.  Impressive.  I look
forward to seeing this application develope.
I was not able to see the videos above.  I got only sound with the first video.
I got an error message with the second video link.  But, from BrickShelf I got
sound only from the second one as well.
Am I doing something wrong?

I also have an idea for you and pixel and anyone else interested.  I have been
using the Lego sails from the town wind surfer boards as motorized fan blades
since "whenever".  They seem to make ok thrust.  The biggest problem is keeping
them in a propper shape when they spin.  This can be mannaged.  I have tried to
build helicopters with them but I only have the older, heavier 9,v motors.  Of
course it may be that my design was not good enough.  :-)  Anyway, I never
thought about building a hovercraft with it.  Perhaps you will want to try it.
Sorry, at this time I have no way of producing any pictures.  I hope the idea
might serve you.  I hope to see more.

Best regards,
           Paul K