 Technic / 5379
Re: A campaign for sun and planet gears
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:59:22 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Simon Bennett writes:
I have a plan to go back over these posts and compile a list, perhaps to
suggest that we could model some in LDRAW so we can see how they might • work.
What do people think?

That's Great! I'm glad that all ideas for new parts will be collected and
archived. It would be great if the spreadsheet (or whatever file the archive
is on) would be available on Lugnet.

While I'm thinking about it, I've got another idea for a new part. I feel
that the towballs are a very important part. Ball and socket joints can be
extremely useful in Technic creations. Just to clarify, here's what I'm
talking about:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/connect/conn_4.html

However, there is a lack of good, useable pieces that have socket holes for
the towballs. The most notable piece (other than the steering links, which
only connect towball to towball) is the 6.5L steering piece (usually found
on the independent suspensions of the supercars):

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/suspen/susp_3.html
(piece #2738- Steering Knuckle arm)

It would be nice if this 6.5L arm was shortened. Also, there are other
pieces that could be modified to have a socket. Take the old-style toggle
joints, or the new #1 angle connectors. The hole could be replaced with a
socket for the towballs. And I'm sure that there are many other pieces that
could be modified with sockets.

Anyway, good luck with collecting the new ideas. I hope more people
contribute to this list!

T. J.