 Robotics / 15639
Re: Legal ramifications of posting? (Was: Re: A campaign for sun and planet gears)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.cad, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:50:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, <bdp@optushome.com.au> writes:
Dah,
I Thoufght the origional Idea of the Posting was to get Lego to make these
parts!!!

That was definitely a long-term back-of-mind thought when I posted
originally.  I'm always aware that TLC read Lugnet and look at the Guarded
Inn situation, it seems to work!

So I think the poster of a part Idea, would be estatic if Lego started
making them.

I certainly would, and I'd not be so crass as to take TLC to court over it
to get my share of the profits, particularly when I'm sure they would have a
counter claim of copyright infringement against me.

Yes there are legal issues, but in this situation, easily resolved.

To Clear them up, the poster could add, Please LEGO make my parts. etc.

Bruce

Not so easily resolved in the case of MOCs though.  But are Lego likely to
make a set of a MOC?  The vast majority of what we do is not in Lego's
current style or would be hugely expensive as a set.

Johannes Keukelaar wrote:

What, then, are the legal ramifications of posting ideas for new
pieces in a forum where Lego officials participate? What, for that
matter, are the legal ramifications of posting MOCs in such a forum?

After a detailed discussion of some new piece X, possibly, as
described above, complete with .dat file describing the piece in
tremendous detail, how would Lego feel about making such a piece, or
even a similar piece? After a post describing, say, a Technic cement
mixer, possibly, again, complete with .dat file, how would Lego feel
about producing a Technic cement mixer as an official set? (Or did
even this suggestion rule out that possibility?)

So are you saying we shouldn't have discussed 'missing pieces' in case TLC
now don't make them for fear of AFOLs suing them?

From the other side of the fence: If somebody on Lugnet suggested a
new piece X, and two years later (say) a set was produced
containing a
piece very similar to X, how would the original poster feel? If, two
years from now, a new Technic set was released that was very similar
to a MOC posted here by poster Y, how would poster Y feel?

Note that this is a what-if scenario. I'm not suggesting that Lego
really would 'steal' somebody's MOC. It would still, I think,
influence Lego's behaviour.

Does this not suggest that participation by Lego in these forums
(which, I imagine, is something we all appreciate) has consequences
for what can be discussed here (which, I imagine, is something we
might appreciate a good bit less)?

Well, I assumed that the copyright issues were dealt with by the various
disclaimers around Lugnet and the CAD programs.  I sincerely hope TLC aren't
wary of doing things because of us and until you posted it never occurred to
me that they would.

Can anyone shed any legal or TLC light?

Psi