 Robotics / 15643
Re: Legal ramifications of posting? (Was: Re: A campaign for sun and planet gears)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 02:07:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Johannes Keukelaar writes:
What would the legal ramifications of such an effort be?

IANAL, but it seems to me that:

Most of the pieces that were mentioned in this thread (and other related
threads) are simple modifications of existing pieces (make XYZW part
shorter, separate ABCD into two pieces, remove the bump from 1234...) or a
piece that fills an obvious gap between two existing pieces (#5 beam...).
I think trying to sue TLC for producing such parts is hopeless.

Making general suggestions without any details also seems futile to me.
Imagine that a man in the sixties writes something like: "I think TLC should
make small plastic gears" and then sues TLC for producing the Technic line.

If that sort of thing worked all I should do in order to insure myself a
percentage of TLC income is to post the following message in LUGNET:

I suggest that TLC makes a small plastic <copy & paste the U.S.A patent list
here>

On the other hand, if someone does come up with an original idea (like
planetary gears, or a new hydraulic system etc.) and posts an _exact_
description of how it should be done (for example a .dat file of it) and then
TLC produces this _exact_ part to the extent that no new .dat file should be
done (or the differences are minute and unimportant) then I think this person
has a good case against TLC. There is no reason for TLC to use that same
design. If they wish to produce a brick with a similar functionality they can
design it themselves.

Given that TLC has a patent on its bricks design and still lost the case
against MegaBlocks (or was it another brand?) I think that in any other
scenario you should prepare for a long legal battle with a better chance of
losing than of winning. (again, IANAL)

- David

my_dollars =- 0.02;