 Robotics / 15626
Re: A campaign for sun and planet gears
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:40:42 GMT

I know what these are but, you can simulate the same effect of the sun/planet
gearing system using existing pieces.... I did a model back in HS for my CAD
class 10 years ago on Sun/Planet gears while it was missing the outside tread
gear ring it got the point across. I'm sure with some time I could come up with
a usable outer tread gear ring. Thinking more about it now I think I have a way
to do it.... heheheh thanks for The Brain Stimulation.

If lego said here's 5 items that we want to build and 1 of them was a
Sun/Planet assembly, that wouldn't be one of my choices... This is only my
opinion, there might be a thousand others who say, YEAH!!! let me have one...
I'd much rather see a smaller scale of gears and assemblies. Like gear boxes
and other stuff that does take up half of your model space..... On a large
scale its not that big of a deal... why you ask? take a look at the difference
between the "Old" style engine cylinders and the new ones. almost 1/4 scale of
the older 2x2 pistons.

Now with that scale look at the gear box assemblies.... BIG Difference!

Anyhow just a thought.. Anything new from lego would be cool I guess as long as
its useful!

Wayne

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
I have no idea if TLC reads this particular news group, but;

***** I want a Technic sun and planet gear assembly! *****

I want everyone else who wants one to say "me too!"

The Technic line has produced a number of standard engineering assemblies
over the years, pneumatic components, differentials, gearbox dogs, racks and
pinions, numerous gear boxes etc etc.

It has never done a sun and planet assembly as far as I am aware and I want
one! Heck, I want a few!

.. and if anybody is reading this, an official pawl and rachet would be
nice too.

JB