 Technic / 3156
Re: Tower crane (WAS: Adjustable 4 wheel steering)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:16:14 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:

I'll use a second RCX to move all the other parts.
I'm looking at using the RCXs in the counterweight, but I don't think
they'll be heavy enough, even with 6 batteries each....

I found with my mobile crane that the limiting factor really started to be the
strength of the boom - 6 batteries at a fair distance from the fulcrum
represents quite a substantial load moment with respect to lego beams, and you
can actually see them starting to bend:

   http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/crane_lrg/crane_boom_pic4.htm

With a tower type crane though, I imagine you could make a far stronger boom
than my mobile crane... it could be interesting to see how much load these
beams can take when assembled in the "box" type structure common to tower crane
booms. The best I've seen so far is Dennis Bosman's crane, which really is
something else:

   http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Highway/2290/bmnr04.html

Jennifer Clark