 Technic / 3144
Re: Tower crane (WAS: Adjustable 4 wheel steering)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:34:23 GMT

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
Ross Crawford wrote:

BTW, if you look at my
lugnet page (#469), you'll see I'm working on a tower crane. Looks like • Ive
got the "construction construction" bug, too!!

Watch out, it gets addictive - before you know it you'll be wandering past
building sites thinking "a Lego model of that would be cool, how could I • make
the bit that does... ". The next stage is when the people you are with see
something on a building site and suggest it would be cool for you to make • in
lego :-)

The Tower Crane seems interesting; there were some quite nice tower cranes • in
one of the ideas books, number 8888, although I never got round to • building
them due to a lack of pieces. You mention something about controlling the
counterweight on the crane with an RCX; would you be making it move • backwards
and forwards as the hook translates horizontally, in an attempt to match • the
load?

Hmmm. Maybe I should stop now..... 8?)

In fact, I'm doing one of the ones that has a tilting boom. They're more
common here in Melbourne (Australia). And yes, one RCX will slide the
counterweight in & out. It requires the platform to actually tilt slightly
to activate the switches. I'll use a second RCX to move all the other parts.
I'm looking at using the RCXs in the counterweight, but I don't think
they'll be heavy enough, even with 6 batteries each....

ROSCO