 Technic / 3158
Re: Tower crane (WAS: Adjustable 4 wheel steering)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:46:40 GMT

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
Ross Crawford wrote:

I'll use a second RCX to move all the other parts.
I'm looking at using the RCXs in the counterweight, but I don't think
they'll be heavy enough, even with 6 batteries each....

I found with my mobile crane that the limiting factor really started to be • the
strength of the boom - 6 batteries at a fair distance from the fulcrum
represents quite a substantial load moment with respect to lego beams, and • you
can actually see them starting to bend:

http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/crane_lrg/crane_boom_pic4.htm

With these, the boom isnt the problem, see
http://www.transworldcrane.com/US_Standard/MajorConstruction.htm (the one on
the right). It is lifted from the end, so really only has to withstand
compression. However, the beams holding the counterweight need a lot of
strengthening.

With a tower type crane though, I imagine you could make a far stronger • boom
than my mobile crane... it could be interesting to see how much load these
beams can take when assembled in the "box" type structure common to tower • crane
booms. The best I've seen so far is Dennis Bosman's crane, which really is
something else:

   http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Highway/2290/bmnr04.html

Wow! I hadn't seen that one before! Don't expect anything up to that
standard - I don't have the parts to co-ordinate colours like that!

Regards,

ROSCO