 Technic / 3118
Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:31:30 GMT

Jennifer,

Waffling is OK!! I do it all the time!!

The reason it should be curved is so that as you adjust the control, the
output (link "E") doesn't move. That's why its radius should be exactly the
length from "C" to "E". I agree, a bush would give more freedom in this, but
I tried it, and there's a lot more "play" in the linkage using a bush. Maybe
there's a znap part or something that could do this better, but I dont know
of one. And znap seems pretty hard to find here in Oz, anyway.

The way to get less steering on the inner axles would be to reduce the
effect of the control on those axles by moving the fulcrum (or whatever).

I got the idea directly from the valve gear on steam engines. A similar
linkage allows the single throttle to control speed & direction of the
engine.

And may I also take this opportunity to congratulate you on your latest
"construction construction"!!!

Regards,

ROSCO