 Technic / 3146
Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:43:52 GMT

James,

I stand corrected!! I haven't investigated steam engines thoroughly, but I
used to like taking rides in the old traction engines at shows when I was a
kid. And back then I seemed to take a lot more in......

But I do remeber that the driver had a single big wheel on a screw
arrangement, as it turned, it moved the link to the valve up & down,
adjusting the "stroke" of the valve, and thus the speed. As I recall, the
driver didn't use any separate control for direction, though it was many
years ago.

ROSCO

James Powell <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message

I got the idea directly from the valve gear on steam engines. A similar
linkage allows the single throttle to control speed & direction of the
engine.

No, it's not a single throttle.  Throttle controls volume rate of flow for
steam, valve gear controls cut off (position of piston to TDC when • admission is
stopped).  Hackworth Valve Gear does not have a curved arm, perhaps take a • look
at it, rather than Walcharts/Baker/Stephenson for ideas. (it suffers other
disadvantages when applied to a railway engine, such as being variable • because
of springing...but that wouldn't affect this application)

(2 controls in cab directly for power/speed, the reverser& the regulator)

James P