 Technic / 3157
3156  |  3158
Subject:
Improving Mindstorms R2???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:26:16 GMT

I just nabbed a second copy of the Mindstorms Droid Developer Kit[1], and
I've been thinking about how to make a better R2, and what the functions
should be.

Then I realized I wasn't even sure what functions the reel R2 has...

So, in the interests of clarifying my thoughts, finding out if I'm going
over plowed ground, and possibility stimulating other people's creativity,
I figured I'd post this.

A 'functional' R2 should be able to:

1. Switch between bipedal and tripedal modes.  This is combination move of
extending the third wheel, tipping the body back and the arms forward.  And
the reverse, of course.
2. Rotate its head.
3. Roll forward and backward.  Can R2 motorvate in bipedal mode, or just
tripedal?
4. Steering.  I've never seen any documentation about the reel R2's
steering; I assume it maneuvers by altering the speed of individual wheels.
5. Utility functions.  Astromech droids seem to possess a myriad of tools,
lights, and hidden compartments ("Bond. Artoo Bond.").  A minimum would be
the data arm, as documented in the DDK.  Other possibilities include a fire
extinguisher arm, sensors that extend from the dome, spring-loaded light
sabre holdouts, hologram projectors, manipulator arms, and h2o evacuators.

So, has anyone made a "more functional" R2D2 than the out-of-the-box
version(s) in the Droid Developer Kit?  Any more ideas?

--
Steve
1) The parts from the first copy of the set are dispersed amongst the