 Star Wars / 7550
  TPM Rules

Yes, Jar Jar sucks. Yes, the Neimoidians are irritating, goofy, and would have been 100 times better with Jabba-esque subtitles. But... let's look at what George did right. 1. Darth Maul: one of the coolest characters in any of the SW films. Just in (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

(...) I've seen it enough--and without any bees nor bonnets--to form my opinion without gushing and without undue negativity. Some facts remain, though, that keep me from embracing this film as lovingly as you do: 1) The oft-mentioned "she's a (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

(...) <snip> (...) Well I actually agree with both of you in some places and disagree too. First I am just as big a Star Wars fan as anyone and they are my favorite movies. I still remember going to see the origional back in 77 when I was 8 and (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

(...) Lots of reasonable questions - see my other post ('what's wrong with TPM' thread) for the long version of why I see all these questions and criticisms as moot. I really think that considering the movie as a film is erroneous, and it should (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

Good post, Eric. I agree with almost everything you said. I think it's possible to over-analyze every movie. In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes: <snip> (...) slap him at (...) Heh, yeah... we laugh about the Toschi Station line all the time. (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

(...) Oh, come on! Calling it a piece of art sounds a lot like a smokescreen tactic intended to remove the film from discussions of quality. Even if it is "a piece of art," why can’t it also be considered a film, which it most certainly is? You are, (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  re:TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

In lugnet.starwars, Dave Schuler writes: (snipped into pieces, to make reply "more readable") I first must say that I take it for granted that those of you that dislike TPM like the first movies and thought TPM was bad in comparison. I must also (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

(...) That's certainly true, but that's not what we're doing here--we're simply discussing what's readily apparent on the screen. It's not as though we're analyzing the significance of Darth Maul's clockwise versus counterclockwise spin during the (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

(...) Aside from serving in several (admittedly small) moments as translator, no, not really. Other than with the Ewoks, of course, where his translation was instrumental. Neither was 3PO an actively negative force working against the texture of the (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

(...) That's not what I said at all in the original post that I referred you back to. Of course you can evaluate art - stylistically, aesthetically, and in many other ways - but nobody can sit there and say that the artist should have done this or (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

(...) well, from what I understand the Falcon wasn't supposed to make it out at all.. see that cool web page about the MF which covers the scale problems, etc. Apparently test audiences didn't like seeing Lando and the MF blown up so they changed (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

Sure, but did you -really- expect to find a good plot, good acting, etc. etc. in TPM? The Star Wars movies have never been examples of excellence in "Film" but they sure are good "movies." It's brain candy. ~Mark (...) we're (...) counterclockwise (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM Rules

(...) That's a feeble, lazy excuse for them to make. I'm not looking for pioneering insights into the human condition; I'm hoping for a film that is an entertaining and well-executed story. Sure, George and Co. and can lapse into the primary cliche (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

(...) A lot of people argue that kids love Jar Jar, and that he was therefore a great success; I say of course kids were amused by Jar Jar; kids are always amused by slapstick and bathroom humor. (...) The Trade Federation knew full well that (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

(...) I clearly remember that this script continued like "..for a clear transmission". So I can't see any character point here. (...) I didn't irritated with this two headed thing, too. And I don't feel myself as silly for that, although I'm (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

(...) Trade federation was obeying to the rule of Darth Sidious, which is apparently senator Palpatine. As long as the election of Palpatine as the supreme counselor is greatly related to the actions of Queen in Croscunt is concerned, I'm not sure (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

(...) Sigh. My point is that, if the search for the MF were of paramount importance, Vader could have kept his ship in the field and sent a less-than-clear transmission; after all, the Emperor was able to contact Vader's ship, so some communication (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

(...) That's fine, and may very well be consistent with what was on the screen, but if this is the case then there should have been some indication that this is what was happening. As it stands, the ships just disappear without a comment from (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

In lugnet.starwars, Dave Schuler writes: [snipped] (...) I wasn't attempting to say that TPM could get away with it's lack of emotion, I was simply trying to point out that another film (ANH), which is touted as being excellent, shares the same (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)

(...) Fair enough. I haven't made this clear, but I'd criticize the original trilogy for the same sorts of things I find in TPM. (...) I don't know. I didn't care for the "cartoony" feel of the pod race sequence, from the humpty-dumpty-style pilot (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jun-00, to lugnet.starwars)