 Star Wars / 6762
Re: What makes a minifig?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:53:58 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Tim Saupé writes:
I am curious, as I don't have an extensive knowledge of LEGO.  Sebulba is a
"piece", and characters that are made of parts like Pit Droids or Gasgano are
not minifigs.

Could someone make sense of all of it?

Tim

I think that it is subjective.  Part of the grey areas of the question can only
be defined by the individual possessing the parts in question.  For example, I
keep a spreadsheet inventory of my sets, minifig numbers, costs, etc....  One of
my criteria is if the character has personality.  I count the Battle Droids as
minifigs because the squad leaders at least seem to be endowed with
personalities, and, since I'll never have a battalion of Battle Droids, then the
handful that I do have will suffice to be considered "sentient."  I count all of
my astromechs as figs because they obviously have personalities.  Where this all
changes is in regards to Gasgano.  I subjectively have decided that the sum
total of his parts does not constitute a unique individual, but is instead an
amalgamation of elements that Lego tossed together.  Inconsistent, yes.  But, I
basically don't like the Lego Gasgano.

The second subjective criteria is how important the elements in question are to
me.  Personally, I think that the ghosts are goofy.  Even though they may be
unique sentients, if I ever get one, I'll probably never really use it, and thus
I'll be reluctant to inflate my minifig column with elements that I don't really
consider to be minifigs worth having..  I don't at present count skeletons as
minifigs for purposes of my spreadsheet because on the one hand they are just a
pile of bones that do not necessarily possess any kind of supernatural
awareness.  However, when I put a few together with helmets and swords, then for
purposes of my building scenario I consider them to be minifigs because they now
have life.