 Star Wars / 13359
Re: The Chosen one and the balance of the force.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 19:12:28 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:
George Lucas himself has refuted this in 3 or 4 differnt interviews.  Anakin
IS the chosen one.

And a while ago in http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=13249, Ahui Herrera wrote:
Anakin Skywalker is NOT the person who will bring balance to the force!  He
is NOT who the scripts are refering to.  That role is his son, Luke
Skywalker.  Lucas, in some interview a few years back stated that Luke, not
vader, was the one that would bring balance to the force.

Now, I haven't heard any of these interviews, though I've seen at least 6 or
so interviews with Lucas... Where are these? When were they filmed? When
were they aired? Where were they aired? DVD's? TV specials? Are these
written interviews? Where can I find a copy? Cites anyone? Direct quotes?

DaveE

At http://steve.ogreboy.net/interviews/lucasinterview.html there is a
translation of an interview that Lucas did with a Japanese magazine.  It
includes the following statement by Lucas:

"...both the prediction, and Qui-Gonn are correct - Anakin is the chosen one,
and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrfice. Luke couldn't kill the
Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the
Emperor."

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the source, but everything in the
interview jibes with stuff I've seen on (for example) theforce.net and
elsewhere.

Ian