 Star Wars / 13357
Re: The Chosen one and the balance of the force.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 04:27:45 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Aaron West writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:

Episode 2 was quite clear on this. (Or so I assumed) The dark side is being
used more than the light side even with all of the Jedi.

That's odd.  I remember a scene where someone claimed the shroud of the Dark
Side had fallen, and someone else saying that the Dark Side was clouding the
Jedi's abilities to see the future, but I didn't hear anyone say anything • about
which side of the Force was being used more.

What scene was that revealed in?

eric

They stated that the force was out of balance in favor of the Dark Side.
Something along the lines of Anakin is the one who will bring the force back
into balance.

There was no specific wording to the effect that the Dark Side was being
used more than the Light Side.  The statement was that the Dark Side has
come out of hiding and disrupts Light Side Force use the same way one might
talk about opposing magnetic poles.  In the absence of Darkness, the Light
can see the clear future of Order.  In the presence of Darkness, Chaos
distorts the future, bending it to the will of the Dark Side.  That is why
the future is difficult to see, more posibilities are present and the Light
Side is no longer undisputed in the Force.  Seems that both Light & Dark
manipulate the Galaxy anf life in general, but for different purposes.  To
Dark, life is cheap and disposable.  To Light, life must be protected and
nurtured.

We know that the light and dark sides are equal in terms of power thanks to
yoda in Empire strikes back.  So logically if the balance is in favor of the
Dark side it is being used more.

How can it be logical that the Dark Side is being used more if we only have
two known Sith, and 820 Jedi after the Arena Battle???  If the Jedi are
divided, one by one they can be killed like Qui Gon (one Sith/One Jedi).  If
they are united, killing them becomes more difficult (One Sith + Millions of
Battle Droids/200 Jedi).  You can't say with any logic that the Dark Side is
in greater use.

Sidious/Palpatine was so powerful that he could stand in front of Yoda and not
be detected.  Anakin, who was the most powerful Jedi, became the Sith
apprentice and not the master.

The ONLY way I see the Dark Side to be more used would be IF the Cloners had
gotten the DNA sample they originally felt would be better than Jango's
(they wanted a Jedi host DNA) and IF that meant that Darth Maul were to have
been the original 10 year ago intended DNA host.  That could not happen
after Obi Wan cut him and then knocked him down a generator core to be
incinerated (snicker!).  But, man!  Then Palpatine would have had total
control without needing to go through to Episode 3, and Anakin would be a
useless plot element and the world would be ashes from the rioting fans over
the discontiuity of Lucas's Star Wars.

-Mike Petrucelli  (gosh this really is a silly thing to be debating :-D )

Yes.  Yes it is :)
But silly is as silly does, and we are grown ups with minds focused on
fantasy and toys.  That seems silly to all the people who don't "get it",
yesno??

It is really fun getting differing opinions.

Cool thing about Star Wars is that soooo much is left unsaid that you can
discuss it forever without ever destroying the myth.  Lucas will reveal
answers to most of the questions in due time.
Truth is that we don't know very much about the Balance Prophesy as Lucas
"knows" it or who it will really apply to.  The Jedi elders know of it but
have never described it and they could just be transfering their hope onto
Anakin.  Not saying he isn't.

I think Balance is Luke because this:
1.  Animals represent raw life of the Universe.
2.  The Force is in all things uniting them.  The Force is life.
3.  Luke is strong in the Force.  Padme is pregers with Luke in Episode 3.
He is part of the Force in his being alive.
4.  The Dark Side destroys the Force through careless killing and destruction.
5.  The Dark Side states that Luke must join the Dark Side or die (hence
diminish his Force from the Universe).
6.  As Luke's strength in the Force Grows he opposes the Dark Side with more
Force Power and Control.
7.  As Luke's strength in the Force Grows, creatures aligned with the Dark
Side (destroyers of life) try and eat/kill him (hence diminish his Force
from the Universe).
8.  If everybody trying to kill you AND the beasts of the Universe trying to
kill you doesn't make you somehow feel perversly important and part of some
ancient Balance of the Force prophesy, well just go boil yer bottom with
carrots and onions.

That's my peace, and I've said it.
:)
-Aaron-

See I read that George Lucas stated quite clearly that Luke was not the Chosen
one Anakin is.  Of course I spent an hour searching starwars.com and could not
find the relavant article. <sigh>  Basicly my whole explanation is based on
that knowlege and observations from the films.  The Luke as Chosen one seems
contradicted by the fact that Anakin kills the Emperor.  As for the argument
that Anakin would not have done so were it not for Luke; Luke would not have
been born if Anakin had not followed the path that led him to become the
Emperors servant in the first place.

-Mike Petrucelli