 Star Wars / 13343
Re: The Chosen one and the balance of the force.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 18:04:30 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Episode 1 evidence:
We learn that Anikin has a higher midichlorian count than yoda. (Which means
that he is more powerful.) It is assumed that he is the "chosen one" who will
bring balance to the force.

I don't think that the film called Anakin "more powerful" than Yoda but
simply has a higher midichlorian count.  Aside from the fact that the whole
midichlorian/pseudo-immaculate-conception foolishness was a terrible plot
idea (wisely dropped, I notice, in EPII), we have nothing to indicate that
more midichlorians automatically equals more power.

Episode 2 evidence:
We learn that the power of the Jedi is diminishing because the dark side is
clouding the force.  (Which means the influence of the dark side exceeds the
influence of the light side even with all of the Jedi) They refer to Anikin as
the "chosen one" who will bring the force back into balance.

The Dark and Light sides might have different spheres of influence, but that
doesn't mean that either is objectively more powerful.  Further, Yoda
himself declares that the Dark Side isn't more powerful but is simply
quicker and more seductive.  Hardly the same thing...

Original Trilogy evidence:
From episode 1 and 2 we know that Anikin was the most gifted Force user that
the Jedi knew of.  In Empire Strikes Back we learn that Darth Vader is Anikin
Skywalker.  We know that Vader (even more powerful than yoda) serves the
Emperor.  From this we can assume that the Emperor (who was Darth
Sidious/Palpatine in episode 1 and 2) is more powerful than Vader.  This of
course means that Palpatine/Sidious/Emperor is more powerful than all of the
other Jedi.

Again, we don't know that Anakin/Vader is "even more powerful than Yoda," so
that premise is unsupported.  Further, we don't know that the Emperor "is
more powerful than Vader," but only that he's more experienced and a
skillful manipulator.  If it were just a matter of raw power, then the
Emperor should have been able to swat Vader over the railing with a thought,
regardless of how distracted he was by torturing poor ol' Luke.

Conclusion:
Palpatine is so powerful that his Dark Side influence exceeds that of all the
Jedi's Light Side influence.  Anikin is the Chosen one and fufills the
prophecy of bringing balance back to the force at the end of Return of the
Jedi by killing the Emperor.

Or how about this equation:  Emperor + Vader = Yoda + Kenobi
(I'll get to Luke in a moment)

When Kenobi dies, the Force is off-balance toward the Dark.  Then Yoda dies
and it's even moreso.  Then Vader, in his redemption, kills the Emperor,
swinging the balance back to the Light.  Then Vader dies, settling the
entire "Force balance" on poor ol' Luke.  I hate to look beyond the canon
(ie, the films) but I've heard it put forth that Luke's Jedi methods in some
way balance the Light and Dark sides; therefore, in the absence of any other
Light or Dark forces, Luke himself represents the balance.

(Am I the only one that remembers this?  The Emperor was so powerful that his
death cause a massive blue explosion of dark side energy.)

You're only assuming that that's what it was.  I figured it was some kind of
energy discharge from whatever power core he fell into.  Regardless, so
what?  You're further assuming that an impressive light show equals huge
Dark Side power.  For all we know, that could have been the famous
midichlorians exploding out of the Emperor's corpse.

Any Questions?

Yeah--if you're such a Star Wars zealot, why can't you spell Anakin's name?
8^)

     Dave!