 Star Wars / 13353
Re: The Chosen one and the balance of the force.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 20:30:00 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:

To be perfectly honest I have never heard anyone suggest that
Midichlorians were not a measure of ability/power.

Maybe what's happening here is that I so violently reject that awful bit of
Lucas technobabble that I'm unable to accept it as part of an explanation.  Ugh.

In the versions I saw, the Emperor was still zapping, but not at Vader
specifically.

So the lightning arcs looping back and hitting vader was an accident?  Maybe
you are watching the (chopped off the sides of the movie) standard screen
version.

  Bite your tongue, sir!  I would never willingly choose pan-and-scan over
widescreen!  Anyway, it looked to me like the lightning was simply grounding
out in Vader, as well as elsewhere.  Even when the Emp was zapping Luke,
every single bolt didn't hit Luke; many grounded out in the railing and
other miscellaneous knicknacks in the vicinity.

From the evidence we have so
far, it seems that the Force is out of balance in favor of the Light Side
and therefore in need of a heavy infusion of Dark (or a big reduction of
Light).

Episode 2 was quite clear on this. (Or so I assumed) The dark side is being
used more than the light side even with all of the Jedi.  The chosen one is
supposed to bring the force back into balance away from the Dark side.

Hmm.  I don't recall it being stated that way (ie, no one said "he'll swing
us back from the Dark Side), but I guess that might have appeared in one of
the "canonical" novels.  Anyway, why would they even perceive an imbalance,
if no one knew about the Sith until Maul on Tattooine?  Where did they think
all the Dark Side power came from?

     Dave!

After we get this bit sorted out, we can discuss how ridiculous it is to
believe that Amidala would ever in a million years fall for that raving,
mass-murdering sociopath.