 Star Wars / 13345
Re: The Chosen one and the balance of the force.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 19:03:07 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:

[Midichlorians were] a measure of ability and potential power.
(the 'potential' being realized if trained how to use it)

Cite, please?  I don't recall that being state outright, but my memory of
parts of EPI is a little fuzzy.  If you're simply inferring it, that's fine,
but it can't be taken as verse-and-chapter SW canon.

The Dark and Light sides might have different spheres of influence, but that
doesn't mean that either is objectively more powerful.  Further, Yoda
himself declares that the Dark Side isn't more powerful but is simply
quicker and more seductive.  Hardly the same thing...

Whether an individual choose the light or dark side is irrelavent if that
individual is more powerful that their opponent.

Right, but from the example you gave it's impossible to determine which is
more powerful.  It may simply be that the Dark Side is "more powerful" at
being stealthy, while the Light Side is "more powerful" at being, oh I don't
know, compassionate or something.

Again, we don't know that Anakin/Vader is "even more powerful than Yoda," so
that premise is unsupported.  Further, we don't know that the Emperor "is
more powerful than Vader," but only that he's more experienced and a
skillful manipulator.  If it were just a matter of raw power, then the
Emperor should have been able to swat Vader over the railing with a thought,
regardless of how distracted he was by torturing poor ol' Luke.

The Emperor was zaping Vader when he being thrown over, that is what killed
Vader.

In the versions I saw, the Emperor was still zapping, but not at Vader
specifically.  I grant you, the proximity of such a discharge is what killed
Vader, but it seems that if Vader could kill Admiral Ozzel (sp?) via
viewscreen, the Emperor should have been able to dispatch just about anyone
at least as easily (if the Emperor was indeed "more powerful than Vader").

This ignores the new information of Episode 2.  Even with Yoda, Kenobi, Windu,
and all the rest of the Jedi the force was out of balance.  Yoda even states
that the shroud of the Dark Side has fallen.

So?  That just means it's out in the open.  From the evidence we have so
far, it seems that the Force is out of balance in favor of the Light Side
and therefore in need of a heavy infusion of Dark (or a big reduction of Light).

All of the offical sources state that what we see is the Emperor's body being
violently consumed by the force in a dark side explosion.

When you put it that way I don't doubt you, but I haven't read any of that
stuff.  What's a particular title, for example?

I think people are overthinking what they see on screen rather than taking at
face value.

I don't think anyone really believes R2 is the Balancer, but it's a fun
diversion.

why can't you spell Anakin's name?

I guess I was thinking the nick name 'Ani' would affect the spelling. ;^)

I think the real reason that he turned to the Dark Side is that he was
resentful of having been called Annie for so long.  I know it would put me
over the edge.

    Dave!