 Space / 736
Re: Ship Power Core
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:16:11 GMT

I wonder if you could base an engine on the truly huge UFO sections--I • know
Mike
Petrucelli has used them on ships, if not as engines.  Those would almost
certainly have to be external, I suppose.  ;)

I would be an enormous fan of those pieces if it weren't for the printing.
I'm still plucking up the courage to Brasso the printing off (hey, if my
kids ever complain I'll just buy them some more UFO, not like it's hard to
find). When I do, they are going straight into a MOC. they have great
potential. If only they came in grey, they would make a rockin' Cylon
Raider..... Actually, that's another thing that'd rock. Cylon trooper
minfigs. Chromed and all. Yum. Oh, if only they could a heap of licencing
tie-ins for just _minifigs_ .... *sigh*

  Ahh, but they -DO- come in grey... As of the 2000 collection, the
Millennium Falcon has large grey saucer/ufo hull pieces. :)

--
-Bones-
= http://www.necrobones.com/        = NecroBones Enterprises

Paul Baulch wrote in message ...

Mr L F Braun wrote in message <3856C9BC.6EEECE67@pilot.msu.edu>...

Paul, that's a *magnificent* looking engine.  I can almost feel it thrum! • I
like the walk-around bottles, but you've definitely followed the • jet-engine
evolutionary tree to the fhighest point I've ever seen.  Great photo, too! • (Did
you use macro?)

Thanks Lindsay, and everyone else, for your feedback. Yes, I did use macro.
The camera was a Kodak DC215, which is perhaps not as good value for money
as some cameras (I expected the picture quality to be a little better), but
its macro shots come up quite well. Normal shots (with flash) need work.
I'll have them up in January some time.

That reminds me of the way fighters were tested in the 1930s--in racing
situations, as unarmed prototypes ostensibly for "sport".  The planes were • all
engine, really, and run about as cleanly as possible; no armour, no • weapons.

And BIG engines. Don't forget everyone, make your own exhaust nozzles, and
make 'em HUGE.

Those links on your main page to the individual .jpgs don't seem to • work--are
the main
images not up yet?  Those look like incredible ships, though; I'll have my
little Blacktron fighter (joyously named "tarmac") up soon, and it has • some
engine detail but I think the ship as a whole weighs less than that • monster
of
an engine in your new ship.

That's funny, they work fine for me, you're the first to mention this
problem. Mind you, I've found that my browser (IE4) does complain about
script errors on the page, even though while I'm editing it (or even open
the copy of the .htm on my machine) it works fine. I suspect it's a
yahoo-geocities thing, and that there is some explanation in one of their
FAQs somewhere.
By the way, ten megabytes(!) of web page for free is pretty cool. A lot of
people could do worse than go yahoo-geocities (sorry to sound like an
advertisement :-) ).

I wonder if you could base an engine on the truly huge UFO sections--I • know
Mike
Petrucelli has used them on ships, if not as engines.  Those would almost
certainly have to be external, I suppose.  ;)

I would be an enormous fan of those pieces if it weren't for the printing.
I'm still plucking up the courage to Brasso the printing off (hey, if my
kids ever complain I'll just buy them some more UFO, not like it's hard to
find). When I do, they are going straight into a MOC. they have great
potential. If only they came in grey, they would make a rockin' Cylon
Raider..... Actually, that's another thing that'd rock. Cylon trooper
minfigs. Chromed and all. Yum. Oh, if only they could a heap of licencing
tie-ins for just _minifigs_ .... *sigh*

I just wish I could find a heap of those small Exploriens hover scout sets
with the 8x8 round plate. It would be the _perfect_ piece for this round
engine thing, as it's got a heap more studs than the radar dish.

I'm trying to work up to a needle-like ship with tan Adventurers balloons • (abou
8 or 10 of them) as deuterium globes, for an augmented interstellar • ramjet...but
that's a holiday project.  :)

That's a darn good idea. Let us know when you do it!

Paul
[ My page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/5168/   Update postponed
until my January vacation ]