 Space / 730
Re: Spacecraft propulsion (was: Ship Power Core)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:44:41 GMT

In lugnet.space, Ed T. Toton III writes:
Why fission?  Just because it's easier for us right now to garner energy • from
fissionable heavy minerals rather than the fusion of light ones?  The • concepts
for nuclear pulse propulsion for fission almost always have to be external • to
the ship--radiation and retention of particles, I'd guess, would be the big
problems--but you could feasibly have a fusion "rocket" with a bottle • *inside*
the ship.  That way, instead of 7-10% of the energy being converted to • momentum,
you could get much closer to 100%.

Why fission? It can be done -now-. The technology exists. :)

I agree, in the long run fusion is much better, because of the
theoretical effeciency, and the abundance of fuel sources,
and the lack of radiation problems.

--
-Bones-
= http://www.necrobones.com/        = NecroBones Enterprises