 Space / 695
Re: Ship Power Core
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 05:40:51 GMT

   There really is something at the end...scroll down.

Mr L F Braun wrote:

Hmmm...I operate with cabrionic engines, which operate on a slightly different
theory--basically deriving energy from the 'flow' of spacetime in the gravity
well of stars.  Between the stars, energy loss isn't an issue--the superluminal
drives (fold drives) solve that little problem.

I build a gravitic displacement drive in a similar way to yours above:

1) Get eight dkgrey or grey macaroni bricks, two 2x2 yellow cylinder bricks, and
two of the 4x2x4 trans-blue cylinder halves.

2) put a 6L (I think) Technic axle into the top of one of the cylinder bricks.

3) Build two cylinder halves with a level of macaroni bricks above and below each
cylinder.

4) Take two white and one red 2x2 round plates and space them evenly in the
middle of the Technic axle.

5) Assemble the full cylinder with the Technic axle and 2x2 round plates in the
centre.

6) Top it all off with the other 2x2 cylinder brick.

Thus you have your drive core.  For little ships, I just use a couple of 2x2
trans-blue or trans-neon-green cylinder bricks stacked to represent the sealed
drive core--but larger ships need to be "maintainable."

...<snip>...

If anyone wants to see this drive core, I can build one and take .jpgs of it.

There are now .jpgs available.

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/Drivecore1.jpg
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/Drivecore2.jpg

The drive is mounted in a faux-bay of lattice grillework to give it that
"operational" feel.  These sit vertically, not horizontally as Z's drive (although I
tried that too--with 4L dkgrey technic axles that end in studs, then topped with
hydrolator crystals).

best

Lindsay