 Space / 692
Re: Ship Power Core
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:11:13 GMT

Z wrote:

I'm sure that many people install power generators on their larger ships.
Well, for those who do install them, here's an idea you might want to try:

1.  Get one of those big 2-piece trans-blue cylinders they often have in
Exploriens sets.
2.  Attach a 2x4 Technic plate(with the 3 holes) to each end of the cylinder.
3. On each plate, place a 2stud tall, 2stud wide, and 4stud long brick, the
kind with the stud holes(like those on the underside of a plate) in the two
long sides.
4. Stick a 4-stud rod through each brick, so that each rod protrudes into the
cylinder.
5. Open the cylinder, and place a trans-blue cone on each protruding rod.
6. Reclose the cylinder.
The result:  A matter hypercompressor generator.  These work by creating a
perfect magnetic sphere(similar to a pulsar, but with no noticable gravity).
Better than even antimatter.

Hmmm...I operate with cabrionic engines, which operate on a slightly different
theory--basically deriving energy from the 'flow' of spacetime in the gravity
well of stars.  Between the stars, energy loss isn't an issue--the superluminal
drives (fold drives) solve that little problem.

I build a gravitic displacement drive in a similar way to yours above:

1) Get eight dkgrey or grey macaroni bricks, two 2x2 yellow cylinder bricks, and
two of the 4x2x4 trans-blue cylinder halves.

2) put a 6L (I think) Technic axle into the top of one of the cylinder bricks.

3) Build two cylinder halves with a level of macaroni bricks above and below each
cylinder.

4) Take two white and one red 2x2 round plates and space them evenly in the
middle of the Technic axle.

5) Assemble the full cylinder with the Technic axle and 2x2 round plates in the
centre.

6) Top it all off with the other 2x2 cylinder brick.

Thus you have your drive core.  For little ships, I just use a couple of 2x2
trans-blue or trans-neon-green cylinder bricks stacked to represent the sealed
drive core--but larger ships need to be "maintainable."

Alternately, I sometimes use a 4x4 cylinder brick and Technic stud-end pegs to
attach hoses below "floor" level (using the 8x8 grilles to allow yellow hoses to
be visible).  This way, you can end up with banks upon banks of these things;
Marathon had two, and I've planned a ship that will take four.  Usually there's
also a high-output ion drive to allow the ship limited short-term
manoeuverability if beset by gravitic weapons...but ramscoops are best left for
another discussion.  ;)

If anyone wants to see this drive core, I can build one and take .jpgs of it.

best

Lindsay