 Space / 693
Re: Where are the carriers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:54:26 GMT

In lugnet.space, Patrick Leahy writes:
I've noticed that so many sites have a major focus on starfighters, but don't
seem to always have carriers for those fighters.  Where's a site with some
carriers?

I've been toying with the idea of a carrier for a few years now.  The current
sketches I've made are looking like the carrier will end up being about 250
studs long and 100 studs wide.  No "whoosh"-ability there [per the other posts
in this thread] ... the end result will be about 7 feet long and 3 feet wide.
That's even bigger than I am, and I'm not a small guy!  Hard to 'whoosh'
that... but that's not what I'm trying to achieve out of it.

I've built some of the major components so far.  I'm really happy with the way
the bridge turned out; it's a design I've been wanting to put together ever
since the 10x10x12 trans-dark-blue dome pieces came out back in the Futuron
days.  Mockups of the engines and some of the dynamic features will come next.

Though the primary intent will be to carry small 'sting' fighters, between 12
and 24 studs wide, I intend the carrier to be able to land a Galaxy Explorer
and a Galaxy Commander on the foredeck.  I'm doing the best I can to not design
myself into a 'big box' problem, but some of it should be acceptible... about
the same degree of 'big box' as the US Navy's Tarawa class 'phibs, I think.

My main problems are space and parts.  I'm going to be moving into a new
place in the next month, and I hope to set aside a room for Lego and
computers, so that should solve the space thing.  Now I just need a few
thousand more plates and bricks... anyone want to help me there? [Hi Todd!
:)]

In the time being, I'm coming up with more fighter designs and building
prototypes of each.  If I get a digital camera this Holiday season, I'll have
some photos of those and probably some sketches of the carrier to put online.
We'll see...

-Dave