 Space / 670
Re: Where are the carriers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:59:51 GMT

The problem I've run into with large ships is--and correct me if you've • found a
way around this--"sag."  It seems that if I want to make them with bay • doors,
opening panels to view the interior, or anything resembling amenities, it
weakens the outer structure so much that they creak and sag when lifted. • 76
studs is the longest I've managed to make a ship without having to give up
liftability, "whoosh"ability, and retractable landing gear that can • actually
support the ship's mass without collapsing.

    Oh don't get me wrong, my ship aint whooshin' anywhere. Sorry Todd.
; )The technique i used in construction (of the 75 stud section) was to make
4 big identical rings which have the general smooshed on the sides cylinder
look for the hull. These I made exclusively out of traditional 2x bricks so
that none of these rings are thicker than 2x. The rings are braced on the
inside with 2 horizontal beams of bricks which jut into the rings
construction. The rings were then connected to each other by 8 indivdual 1x
beams running the length of this section. the beams are held together by 1x
plates and the beams jut through the rings and are smooshed by the rings
weight. The structure is very hollow obviously so I used plates with hinges
and technic beams and pegs to make the curving hull. I used this same way of
building for the back and I used elements of it in the other smaller
sections. I've yet to decide if the ship is atmosphere ready or if it is
only a space vehicle. Landing gear or systems will depend on that. (there's
no way landing gear would hold it up so this feature would just be for
looks)

1) The "Box" Phenomenon:  It's very hard to get away from making a ship • that
looks like a giant box.  Mike Petrucelli did a good job (look back a bit in • the
threads, a week or so)--basically a wedge, but with variances in just the • right
spots.

    If you interested here is my ships layout:

    Its made up of 3 sections primarily with 2 smaller sections comprised of
the bridge up front (rebuilt for the fourth time last night) and the yet to
be built engines in the back. The 3 main sections connect with technic pegs.
    The largest section is in the front (with the bridge suspended out about
43 studs in front of that)and generally looks like a cylinder squeezed
vertically so it is taller than it is wide. Its funny because this section
was rebuilt a while back from about 50 studs with a different shape to the
75 or so studs it is now. Matching your discription almost exactly on
length/sag limit. I'm very careful when I pick up this part but its really
pretty strong.
    The section right behind that is the corridor like section which
connects the front to the back where engineering, communications, drive
systems (to be built) and whatever else will be. This part is actually the
most complete of the whole ship already. I even put hull details on a while
back (which proved a mistake last night when i had to move the ship a bit
and reconnect this section and knocked off a lot of the technical looking
stuff in the process) The section is connected with 6 technic pegs on front
and back and is suspended (at the same height with the bridge up front)
about 8 bricks or so up. The only thing this rests on is the other 2 large
sections. Luckily there is no sag here at all.
    The back is like a smaller version of the front and is about 2/3 the
length of the front section.
    Both the bridge and the connecting corridor are set off all the way to
the port side of the ship because I wanted an asymetrical look. (hoping my
ascci looks ok) This is how it looks from overhead, with the top of the
diagram being the rear of the ship:

    HH
    HH
        ]
        ]
  HHH
  HHH
  HHH
        ]

    That's my biggest problem with
truly enormous ships, but there are others:

2) The "Rainbow Warrior" Phenomenon:  The name says it all.  We're oot of
bricks, keptain!  Time to use the yellow, red, and green...

    I anticipated this and have taken pains to not let any white, yellow,
red or green show on the outside. All of these colors pretty much are used
for the internal superstructure. The other colors I used for the hull and
outside bracing effects and whatever are grey (primarily for the hull
sections) black (all the rings are covered with black bricks on the
outside ) blue, dark grey, and I am even using small amounts of brown and
tan for "exposed" technical stuff like pipes.

3) Related to 2), the "Not Enough Bricks for Furniture" Phenomenon.  Again,
self-explanatory.

    LOL. Hopefully I will have enough pieces for this when done. Funny it
seems like everyone (including me) builds these ships from the outside in.
Course if you run out of parts at least you'll have something that looks
like a ship on the oustide instead of an interior that has no skin around
it.

Any other "arghs" I missed?

    The, "Not very much room to build this." phenomenon.

  I'm sure there are more but I've already typed enough. Sorry for the
monster post but its really fun to talk about this with others who have the
same interest.

    Jon.