 Space / 653
Re: Color & Classic Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:36:49 GMT

Nephilim wrote:

Felix Greco wrote in message ...
This may be rehashing an old topic, but has anyone ever thought about what each
color might mean for the old space mini-figs?  Here's my theory:

Yellow= Pilots- they always seemed to be the figs that came with spaceships

White= Technicians- they played the support role in most pictures involving
ships.

[snip]

The first few years of classic space in the late 70s, all you could get
were red and white astronauts.  I assumed that this was meant to
signify USA/USSR joint space exploration.  I thought it was kind
of cool that they both came in the same sets - that there wasn't one
team vs another, but two teams working in harmony.

I didn't think of it in terms of one color = one skill.

It's funny - I adore the classic smiley figures, but, as a kid, I was a *little*
disgruntled with them.  They were WAY too happy for effective roleplaying.
John:  "Oh my god, my helmet's come off" ... (he dies a gurgling death as his
oxygen bleeds out into space .... smiling like a fool).  I experimented with different
things - turning the heads around so you couldn't see the smileys, but that didn't
look cool. Using transparent red or green 1x1 rounds as heads, so that I could
pretend their faces were hidden with a green or red visor to shield their eyes
from the harsh glare of the suns ....

I would have been thrilled with the Blacktron figures.  Same old wonderful
smileys, but with the black visors, you can role play them in any
situation.

Nowadays, I don't actually role play with the minifigs, and I love the smileys,
and hate the ugly grimacing faces.  They're painful to look at.  I wonder
if I would have liked them as a child.  I would have just been happy if the
smileys were *neutral* ... you don't have to have their faces cast in a permanent
rictus of evil.

Anyway, with red being the soviets and white being the americans, when
the yellow figures came out, I figured they were the japanese.  I wouldn't
have known what to make of blue or black figures, but by then I would have
realized they didn't represent anything in particular more than trying to keep
the toy line interesting and varied.

I like the idea that one color might be a pilot, another the commander,
and such, but since they only started out with red and white, it's hard
for me to buy that.  Of course, we can assign any meaning we
want to assign to our toys, but as far as LEGO is concerned, I'm not
sure I really discern plausible patterns in the distribution of the
different colored space figures.

Black= I can't really figure these guys out.  My thoughts were either gaurds,
GI, or high command. What I eventually came up with was that they represented
the ministry of internal mini-fig affairs which was like the secret service.
This is supported by the fact that the first space police were black mini-figs
because, obviously, the ministry felt that just having agents in the field was
not enough what with all that uranium going back and forth.

Heh.  I like that.  =)

Does your perception of the colors extend to the Futuron figures?

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

Scott E. Sanburn
CAD Operator
Affiliated Engineers, Inc.

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/

Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Main LEGO Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/legoindex.html

Soon to come: Star Wars LEGO Sets Parts Selling Page!