 Space / 425
Re: Color & Classic Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 15:12:29 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:3823a9a6.695651599@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.space, "John VanZwieten" <john_vanzwieten@msn.com> writes:
I just always thought red/blue was for the men and white/yellow for the
women.  But my dark age began before I had many blue or yellow.  As for
status, naturally the men outranked the women!  I sure didn't want my • little
sister bossing me around :-)

Back in 1978, when the very first LEGOLAND Space sets came out, all there
was were red and white space figs.  This was just a few years after the
famous Apollo-Soyuz mission, and so for that reason, I think I always
figured that the white minifigs were American/USA/Astronauts and the red
minifigs were Soviet/CCCP/Cosmonauts.  After all, the first 3 LEGOLAND Space
sets did seem very much like "real-life" things that could conceivably
happen on Earth's moon sometime in the early 21st Century.  :)

Cool!  The Apollo-Soyuz mission is one of my earliest television memories.  I
sat and watched the whole thing.  But by the time LEGOLAND Space sets arrived,
the Soviets were the evil empire (even though Reagan hadn't made his famous
quote yet, Star Wars was already out) and there was no way a bad guy was going
to be piloting my Galaxy Explorer!

-John Van