 Space / 5754
Re: Mark's Lego Creations Update! 1/3/01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 04:59:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article G6MC55.Jts@lugnet.com, Jonathan Mizner wrote:

Pretty neat design.  I must agree with Mladen, though.  It lacks
excitement.  The Neverwhere was interesting, with secret weapons, opening
compartments, and a radical new design.  The ISP HF-300 is just kind of,
well, boring.  No offense, but it would have been better if it had some sort
of special features, or else a more streamlined shape.  It looks like a
cross between a blocky, run-of-the-mill mass-cargo transport, and a
high-speed courier.

That's what it is: an IPS Freighter. It's made to haul stuff real fast.

Modern-day UPS trucks aren't very exciting either.

In fact, it looks an awful lot like my pitiful attempts
to build medium-sized ships.  It lacks detail, in short.

It's supposed to look like a sleek, corporate shipping vessel.

Add weapon pods, turrets,

Why? It's a corporate freighter. It travels the Space Police patrolled
shipping lanes. Besides, if every freighter had weapons, then Jonathan
Splork wouldn't have anything to do in the Lightnin' Jack. ;^)

sensors

It has those in the front.

windows

It has those in the cockpit.

, a hanger

On a freighter?

or something else unusual.

On a corporate vehicle?

Perhaps even a few movable fins even?

Hmmm.. I don't think so.

Overall, it has some neat elements (design, not parts).  But I believe that a
design is either one of two things: based of a unique shape, or based on
unique arrangement of pieces.

So it's not a design? Huh? This was *designed* to look like a corporate
shipping vessel.

It doesn't seem to be one or the other.  Please do not interpret this comment
as negative.  I do like this ship, as I do all of your creations.  But I like
your other models better than this one.

Well, it is negative, but that's ok. You aren't required to like all my
models all the time. I'm not offended. :^)

However, when making criticisms, you might first consider the intent of the
model. This thing wasn't supposed to be a souped-up bounty hunter's ship
like the Neverwhere. It's supposed to be a corporate freighter.

I suppose people have become too used to seeing radical designs from me :^)

Sorry to interrupt, Mark maybe you should read this:

This is what the O-great Sproaticus once told me when I asked him what he
thought of one of my really boring models...

Jeremy Sproat:

   Would you believe me if I told you that I have a couple unpublished models
   in this vein?  I discovered that it's less impressive (again, for MYSELF
   only; don't let this affect your judgement of your models) to show an
   everyday model, than it is to discuss it.  Which is also why I don't do town
   models very often.

   An example: your average bread truck.  Bread trucks are awesome.  Bread
   trucks are fun to ride in, and they have lots of tasty goodies in the
   back.  Bread trucks make sure that many people get the food they need to
   survive.  Society owes a lot to the bread truck.  I love bread trucks.
   But to me they look boring, like, well, a bread truck.  Now Barbara, on
   the other hand, she'll put tons of effort into making sure her bread truck
   looks authentic and fun to play with.  (No, I'm not announcing a new
   model!  :-) She'd get incredibly jealous of someone else's bread
   truck-building talents.  Many other folks are the same way.  But not me.

Original Post: http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=1325

Whatever happened to the Spiffcraft X-1?  Was it ever found?  Is there
going to be a follow-up on it?

We shall see. Basically it depends on when I get enough time and the
inclination to make a story.

Thanks for your comments.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

Mladen Pejic, over and out!