 Space / 5808
Re: Mark's Lego Creations Update! 1/3/01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 18:11:00 GMT

in article G6qrJw.FM7@lugnet.com, Paul Baulch wrote:

If you don't mind my saying so (in good humour, of course), "whoopee doo!"

I don't know about other people, but when I go to look at a space MOC, the
last thing I want to see is something that looks boring - I want to be wowed
by something far out and amazing-looking, as well as the cool techy detail
bits.

But of course that's merely what I want - I'm sure there are technogeeks who
adore functionality and couldn't care less about form. Sorry to them if I
want a freighter to be more than a gray box with a window at the front,
nozzle on the back and doors on the sides[1]. I firmly believe that we
modelers can and should always aim for both pleasing function _and_ form.

I think my freighter wasn't very popular because I was trying to emulate Bob
Hayes' bricks-as-curves style that he used on a couple of his large
freighters. I think it would have made more sense and worked better if my
model had been larger.

[1] That is not my interpretation of Mark's freighter, which was far more
interesting, having a great interior and his usual excellent detailing (as
has been said elsewhere).

Thanks Paul. :^)

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--