 Space / 5770
Re: Mark's Lego Creations Update! 1/3/01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:49:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hi everyone,

Please see the IPS HF-300 Medium Freighter in my Spacecraft section.

Mark,

Nice ship. Despite previous criticisms, I think that your design intent was
clear and that you nailed it pretty well, as usual. Not quite knowing what
technologies are available in the model's "sphere of reality," I have a few
likes and dislikes that may or may not be completely moot:

I like the fact that most of the ship's mass is located BETWEEN the engines...
in space, with any kind of kinetic reaction drive, putting the mass of the ship
as close as possible to the point of thrust will result in the highest
stability flight (and conversly, the lowest maneuverability), which seems
entirely appropriate for this type of vessel.

I like that little attempt was made to tailor to aerodynamics... no wings, or
flaps, or whatever... this is a spacecraft after all! Such things are
expensive, and a corporate buyer is not likely to waste money if they are not
necessary.

I don't particularly like the large "window" surface areas, since they would be
very high-maintenance, likely to be damaged in the highly industral ports that
such a frieghter would be docking in, and easily and cheaply replacable with
cameras and viewscreens.  Of course, this only applies if this belongs in a
"hard science" universe... Having said that, I do like the "glass front"
look...

I'm not too satisfied by the "blocky" front surface of the hull, especially the
orange stripe to the right of the cockpit... it is distracting, and screams
"LEGO toy" :) If you could find just one or two orange half-wedges (from
sebulba's podracer) to ease that surface, it would be 100% better :)

I love the detailed interior... I've got a half-finished design for a
similar-sized frieghter in LDraw, and have been thinking about building it in
real life, because it is primarily waiting on LCAD parts that don't exist
yet... This has inspired me... and if I can get a job soon, maybe I'll start
building it ;)

--Karim